d'Uccle color genetics

Pics
Can anyone tell me what color chicks I would get with a black mottled roo and a porcelain hen? I have a millie roo and a porcelain roo, as well, but I dont have enough room to keep them all. If I got rid of my porcelain and milli roosters, but kept my black mottled rooster would I still be able to produce millies down the road with porcelain hens? I also have 1 millie hen. The rest are black mottled and porcelain hens. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

I asked before but my chicks are older now and I think I have better pics...does anyone know what variety? They were supposed to be blue mottled...

This gorgeous girl is soooooo sweet!
29818_wef.jpg

This girl is mostly white but has a slight grey around and on her head:
29818_odps.jpg

Is he a splash?
29818_fdvsd.jpg

Thanks!

Quote:
You should get split mottled AND split lavender AND "splits for both mottled and lavender"
also equal among blacks and lavenders not just lav split mottled.

Sorry, I oversimplified.

My real question is about feather-quality genetics. Which is the best way to improve feather quality:

a) Keep breeding the current lavenders and cull heavily for feather quality.

b) Cross out to a roo with high quality feathers and then breed to clean the color back to pure lavender?

If anyone needs any Porcelain cockerels or pairs, I have some available currently.

I am also trying to have a crash course in color genetics on these d'uccles.............I just this year got Mille, Blue Mille, Gold Neck, Mottled, Porcelain and others which appear white but came with the gold neck......dominant white? Hard to say. I have boys and girls both in the Gold Neck, Porcelain and whites.....girls only in Mille, Blue Mille and Mottled.

This is an interesting thread. I know very little about chicken genetics, but I'm trying. My genetic knowledge is in pigeon colors. So I do know the basics - dominant, recessive, sex-links, modifiers, dilutes, white genes (which in pigeons, there are quite a few), and the 'cover-uppers' that hide the true genetic colors/patterns (in pigeons, there are two - rec. white that works the same as in chickens, and rec. red that covers up most genes, but can leak colors occasionally).

Quote:
Do you have any pics of your whites? I have a "white" that was with a batch of blue mottled that has a very very slight lav hue on head and neck...not sure if she will be splash or???

29818_023.jpg

as compared to a lav:
29818_026.jpg

Shannon's Chix, both those girls look lavender to me...

I have my first MFx Lav chick and she's adorable. All black except for a bit of yellow under her chin and on her abdomen. Even her feet are black! Best of all, her feather quality at 1 week is more like the MF chicks! So I gave my die-hard Lav broody the go ahead to set a batch of eggs.

I have pics of her newborn look, and will take pics of her feathers every 10 days to see how her current coloring matures. Right now her pattern is black MF, IMO. I plan to keep very good records of this little project, with DD helping me. That way, if she needs a science project we'll have one already in progress.

Quote:
Mille fleur x lavender = black split to lavender mottled. She should have no visible pattern.

ETA: That is, assuming that the lavender is NOT split to mottled...

Also, Shannon - the top pic looks like a splash from here. If she was in with a batch of blue mottled, she may be split to mottled - breed her to a black or a blue (mottled or MF) and see what you get.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom