d'Uccle color genetics

Pics
Breeding two porcelain together will give you all porcelain nothing else.
Breeding a self blue to a porcelain will give you zero porcelain. Imo unless you really know your genetics all youll get is a mess.
To get porcelain you need to get the lavender gene from each parent but you also need to get the MF pattern from each parent. You can't get that from the self blue.
Self blue is just extended black underneath the lavender.
You can do that cross and with the right breeding get back to porcelain in a couple generations but you will need to understand all genetics of both colors/patterns.

I believe you are thinking BBS blue, not self-blue. Most folks who use the term self-blue are referring to the lavender gene, not BBS blue. Some breeds call it lavender, some call it self-blue.

I believe you are thinking BBS blue, not self-blue. Most folks who use the term self-blue are referring to the lavender gene, not BBS blue. Some breeds call it lavender, some call it self-blue.

that's what confuses me some people say lavender some people say self blue is there a difference? Or is it just a term that is used loosely but actually different colors as to how to breed to get it. Please enlighten me I'm really trying to get these things right!

No I wasn't thinking bbs. I know the difference.

that's what confuses me some people say lavender some people say self blue is there a difference? Or is it just a term that is used loosely but actually different colors as to how to breed to get it. Please enlighten me I'm really trying to get these things right!
Self blue and lavender is the same thing.
When showing it is referred to as self blue. Self blue is the technically correct term for the color.
In the non show world it is usually referred to as lavender. There are a lot of breeds that come in lavender or a pattern with lavender. Most are not a recognized color with the APA. The breeds that are are the breeds using the term self blue.

Breeding two porcelain together will give you all porcelain nothing else.
Breeding a self blue to a porcelain will give you zero porcelain. Imo unless you really know your genetics all youll get is a mess.
To get porcelain you need to get the lavender gene from each parent but you also need to get the MF pattern from each parent. You can't get that from the self blue.
Self blue is just extended black underneath the lavender.
You can do that cross and with the right breeding get back to porcelain in a couple generations but you will need to understand all genetics of both colors/patterns.

Sorry my bad I was thinking you said self blue to mills fleur.
That was what I was thinking with that post.

Self blue x porcelain will not give you any porcelains but you would get the lavender color on all chicks.
Chicks should be all pure lavender color but i would guess some would have leakage.

but i would guess some would have leakage.

What would leakage be self blue with a little of another color??

Sorry my bad I was thinking you said self blue to mills fleur.
That was what I was thinking with that post.

Self blue x porcelain will not give you any porcelains but you would get the lavender color on all chicks.
Chicks should be all pure lavender color but i would guess some would have leakage.

i knew that you knew what it was, so I'm glad you explained why I was confused. :D

If I were to breed these chickens together...

Attachments

• IMG_2010.JPG
    IMG_2010.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2008.JPG
    IMG_2008.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom