d'Uccle color genetics

Pics
Quote:
A proper buff should be "guinea gold" (gold coin, not noisy bird), not yellow.

I've seen color variations from medium cream to the rich 'guinea gold' all referred to as buff.

Is there a spectrum chart that identifies the target color areas for each color label (US)?

Well, if you read the standard, it describes the colour. The Bantam Standard describes buff as:
Color of Male
PLUMAGE: Entire surface, an even shade of intense, golden buff, free from shaftiness, mealiness, cloudiness or mottled appearance. Head, neck, hackle, saddle, sickles and wing bow--richly glossed , intense golden buff.
UNDERCOLOR: Similar to basic surface color, free from mealiness or any foreign color.

Color of Female
PLUMAGE: Entire surface, an even shade of intense, golden buff, free from shaftiness, mealiness, cloudiness or mottled appearance. Head, neck and hackles--slightly glossed , intense golden buff.
UNDERCOLOR: Similar to basic surface color, free from mealiness or any foreign color.
Defects
Any deviation other than orange cast to be considered a variation...Reddish lemon and/or light yellow surface color...

And in hte definitions section it says:
BUFF: An intermediate shade of orange yellow with a rich golden cast, not so intense as to show a reddish tinge, nor so blanched as to resemble lemon or light yellow.​

Quote:
Oooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuu.................................that's a great idea.
thumbsup.gif

That would be good for a lot of the color definitions.

Quote:
Oooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuu.................................that's a great idea.
thumbsup.gif

That would be good for a lot of the color definitions.

That's why I thouht there might be one out there. A chicken color wheel. If there's a scale for measuring the color of eggs, like Marans, there should be one for measuring color saturation in feathers. But maybe not yet...

Still, I did find the link that told me about Butterscotch as an official d'Uccle color.

I knew I'd read about them somewhere. And I think I'm on the right track except I have to wait for maturity to be sure. Well, really I have to wait until first molt, but I'll have a second set by then since I'm only using a small number of birds and I'm not patient....

Quote:
This I don't get:
Shoulders & Fronts - black.

I wondered about that myself, since lower down it talks about 1/2 or more black being a DQ....

Last edited:
Okay! I an trying to understand the porcelain color, after breeding porcelain roos to porcelain hens I thought I would get the porcelain Mille fleur pattern, but I am getting chicks that have the base wheat and lavender coloring, but don't have the Mille fleur patterning! So they are porcelain Mille fleur parents in appearance, but about half of the chicks don't have the patterning! Help?

Could you post some pictures teddiliza? The Porcelain color is a puzzle to me also. It appears to be very fragile and easily lost. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong........somebody. Henk you gave me the "formula" for creating the Porcelain, but I noticed that it would take something over 500 birds to breed one. What is the story with this color/& pattern. Can you give me a 1st or 2nd grade version of a explanation.

I don't remember where I found this or I'd give them credit. I'm also trying to learn and had this in my notes.
Sandy

OK SO NOW LETS "BUILD" A MILLE FLEUR

e wh -- wheaten down color. Wheaten/whitish colored female. Male Red/Silver hackle and saddle, with a black breast.

s -- sex link gold, we want a red bird, not a white/silver one. Now we have a Gold Wheaten instead of a Silver Wheaten.

Co -- columbian Removes the black from the breast of the male. Now we have a Buff Columbian. Makes males and females the same color.

mo -- mottled. recessive 2 genes required. This adds the black bar and white dot. to the end of the feather. Now we have a Mille Fleur!!!

If we add one gene of Bl we will have a Blue Mille Fleur. If we add 2 genes we will have a Golden Neck.

Take the same Mile Fleur that we just built. If lav -- lavender is added in 2 doses (it's recessive) we will have a Porcelain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gold (s/s) varieties based on e+ or eb or eWh alleles, with Columbian

Phenotype Genotype
Porcelaine e+/e+ s/s Ig/Ig Co/Co mo/mo lav/lav bl/bl Rb+/Rb+ i/ i

Back
Top Bottom