d'uccle colors and genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hdowden, Dec 7, 2011.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i am just starting out in the d'uccle world and will be hatching some pq eggs next year while i shop around for some good lines. i have a self blue roo, a porcilian pullet, and a mille fluer w/porcelian heratige pullet. if i hatch eggs out from them what colors would i get. i would appreciate any pics. also the self blue is hatchry qulity and he has wattles, how would deal with this?

i know that the best color to use with him would be black or black molted, could i get blue mille from crossing the mille and the self blue

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
  3. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
  4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Patterns , like mille fleur etc., are difficult to establish once a person has out crossed to another variety. I would suggest that you stick with self blue or black. These varieties are easy to reproduce when compared to the secondary pattern varieties. Start with something easy- then progress to the more difficult, time consuming and money consuming projects. Secondary color patterns require years to establish and lots of culled chicks. Trust me I know- I have been working on secondary patterns for a while.

You can get a lavender mille fleur or porcelain. It will take 4 or 5 years and lots of culls to get what you want; assuming one hatch per year.

Tim

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    thank you for the information.

i was told that crossing a porcelian with a self blue can be deadly does anyone know anything about this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by