D'uccle Thread

I obtained 7 MF D'uccle as the owner was moving and couldn't take them with. I have a couple of questions but I'll start with this one.

I was told all Roos but 2 of them look like hens to me. 5 have the obvious saddle and neck feathers but the other two are not the dark mahogany color and no saddles..etc. I have a hen myself and planned to keep one of the Roos for her a mate but the two in question are colored exactly like her only with larger red combs.

I can post pics in a day or two but I don't have any to share at the moment.

Can anyone here provide some insight as to the possibility they are Roos, can they be colored just as a hen is without that darker coloring? They are from last May hatching I believe.

I obtained 7 MF D'uccle as the owner was moving and couldn't take them with. I have a couple of questions but I'll start with this one.

I was told all Roos but 2 of them look like hens to me. 5 have the obvious saddle and neck feathers but the other two are not the dark mahogany color and no saddles..etc. I have a hen myself and planned to keep one of the Roos for her a mate but the two in question are colored exactly like her only with larger red combs.

Can anyone here provide some insight as to the possibility they are Roos, can they be colored just as a hen is without that darker coloring? They are from last May hatching I believe.
MF Hens and Roos look very different in pattern...the coloring can vary as in Roos are most always the dark mahogany and hens the lighter buff color but not always as that is related to the quality of the D'uccles. That aside Roosters will have spangling in their saddle and hackle feathers and a green sheen to their tail feathers which will be long. They will have the Flower pattern on their chest and the lower part of their wings...the rest of them looks like mahogany and spangles when they are standing there relaxed because they are covered by saddle and hackle feathers. It is rather hard to mix up the MF roos and hens at 10 months old so if you think you have some hens in there even though the guy said all roos, you are likely right.

Here are some internet sourced pics.

The first 4 pics are all Roos the last 4 are all hens (some are younger, some are older, some are better quality then others)

Hens/Pullets

If your still not sure some pics would get the answer quickly.

MF Hens and Roos look very different in pattern...the coloring can vary as in Roos are most always the dark mahogany and hens the lighter buff color but not always as that is related to the quality of the D'uccles. That aside Roosters will have spangling in their saddle and hackle feathers and a green sheen to their tail feathers which will be long. They will have the Flower pattern on their chest and the lower part of their wings...the rest of them looks like mahogany and spangles when they are standing there relaxed because they are covered by saddle and hackle feathers. It is rather hard to mix up the MF roos and hens at 10 months old so if you think you have some hens in there even though the guy said all roos, you are likely right. Here are some internet sourced pics. The first 4 pics are all Roos the last 4 are all hens (some are younger, some are older, some are better quality then others) Hens/Pullets If your still not sure some pics would get the answer quickly.
Thanks for the response. 5 of them look pretty much like #1 & #3 you've pictured here. The other Two I was questioning look like the hens however I separated one of them and it was crowing this morning. So I'm not sure about the second and I don't believe the two are the age relayed to me. I guess I'll separate the other one and see if it crows then I'll know for sure but I will go ahead and post pics when I get a chance. They are in horrible condition with scaly leg mites. Worse than anything I've even seen on the internet. Poor things! Very sad and frustrating. Only the one I separated barely has any on it. The others are so bad they can barely walk and one will probably loose a couple of toes because of it.

MF Hens and Roos look very different in pattern...the coloring can vary as in Roos are most always the dark mahogany and hens the lighter buff color but not always as that is related to the quality of the D'uccles. That aside Roosters will have spangling in their saddle and hackle feathers and a green sheen to their tail feathers which will be long. They will have the Flower pattern on their chest and the lower part of their wings...the rest of them looks like mahogany and spangles when they are standing there relaxed because they are covered by saddle and hackle feathers. It is rather hard to mix up the MF roos and hens at 10 months old so if you think you have some hens in there even though the guy said all roos, you are likely right. Here are some internet sourced pics. The first 4 pics are all Roos the last 4 are all hens (some are younger, some are older, some are better quality then others) Hens/Pullets If your still not sure some pics would get the answer quickly.
Thanks for the response. 5 of them look pretty much like #1 & #3 you've pictured here. The other Two I was questioning look like the hens however I separated one of them and it was crowing this morning. So I'm not sure about the second and I don't believe the two are the age relayed to me. I guess I'll separate the other one and see if it crows then I'll know for sure but I will go ahead and post pics when I get a chance. They are in horrible condition with scaly leg mites. Worse than anything I've even seen on the internet. Poor things! Very sad and frustrating. Only the one I separated barely has any on it. The others are so bad they can barely walk and one will probably loose a couple of toes because of it.
Oh no poor things :( I'm glad you got them. Sadly not soon enough. Are you try I,g to treat them?

Oh no poor things :( I'm glad you got them. Sadly not soon enough. Are you try I,g to treat them?

As soon as I got them home! They were in a wire bottom cage which she sent with but after I saw their poor legs/feet/toes I ran to walgreens picked up some A&D ointment and put cardboard on the cage floor.

I've read and read and I'm sure some will disagree but per The Chicken Chick

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens.html?m=1

a vet recommended dip in gasoline dry and lather with A+D which is just a diaper ointment similar texture as hydrocortisone not desiten.

Dr. said it's the fastest and most affective at killing the mites and nits. Instead of a 3-4 week treatment it's supposedly only 3 days. I'm sure I will have to continue with the ointment to help soften their feet and get all that crud off but they are bad.

Tried posting pics but they are Not here after uploading..??

Last edited:

Wouldn't it be easier to post pics of the actual birds instead of having people guess? Have you tried to posting pics yet? If your having trouble I'm sure there is someone that would help you.

Hello everyone! I don't think I ever properly introduced myself in this thread. I am in northeastern Tennessee and I am currently just have a Salmon Faverolles breeding pen. I am working on the beginnings of a D'uccle breeding pen as well. I have a few adult birds and 25+ chicks in the brooder. I don't expect to breed show quality birds but I would like to breed towards the SOP. What are some common faults that I need to look out and/or cull for? Also, any thoughts on my young rooster? Sorry the photos aren't great.

Back
Top Bottom