D'uccle Thread

Quote:
Can you take a picture where she's perching on something?
Her toes are sparse but she does look very young. I can see the hocks coming off her legs and her cheeks are cute. I agree that she's definitely a young mille fleur. If she's around 6 weeks then I'd give her another 6-8 before you can tell on SQ, but if you have a local show around that time then you can go ahead and enter her if you want.

Depending on the protein in your feed, you might want to give her some higher protein treats to help all those foot feathers that are coming in.

Quote:
How are the points on your hens?
I can't tell a lot about his feet (esp middle toe), and I don't any sign of vulture hocks. To me, those are more important than the comb points.

I seen another pic of him he has nice feet feathering...I didn't even think about the hocks! See this is why I ask other people! LOL

Quote:
You boy does look nice.

But our boy does not have nearly as much mahogany. He has actually just filled out more on the Blue than the Mahogany.
Talking to my daughter we will be keeping him as he is a lavendar split.
There is the silver boy and the Blue / Mahogany that we will be keeping as they both meet the current requirements for our breeding program to improve our Self Blues.
We will see what happens when he is put back with his mom the Lavendar hen.
they were produced by a mille roo over a self blue (Lavender) hen.

My guy is just op...mf hen, lav roo. Heres pics taken back when about same age your guy is now. Your pic I stole...
tongue.png

40058_img_9738_640.jpg

39809_000_8352.jpg
39809_000_8351.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
You boy does look nice.

But our boy does not have nearly as much mahogany. He has actually just filled out more on the Blue than the Mahogany.
Talking to my daughter we will be keeping him as he is a lavendar split.
There is the silver boy and the Blue / Mahogany that we will be keeping as they both meet the current requirements for our breeding program to improve our Self Blues.
We will see what happens when he is put back with his mom the Lavendar hen.
they were produced by a mille roo over a self blue (Lavender) hen.

My guy is just op...mf hen, lav roo. Heres pics taken back when about same age your guy is now. Your pic I stole...
tongue.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/40058_img_9738_640.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/39809_000_8352.jpg https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/39809_000_8351.jpg

It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

They do look a lot alike. Time will tell.

Quote:
Her toes are sparse but she does look very young. I can see the hocks coming off her legs and her cheeks are cute. I agree that she's definitely a young mille fleur. If she's around 6 weeks then I'd give her another 6-8 before you can tell on SQ, but if you have a local show around that time then you can go ahead and enter her if you want.

Depending on the protein in your feed, you might want to give her some higher protein treats to help all those foot feathers that are coming in.

Will The Protein Treats Help With Other Feathered Footed Breeds?

Quote:

I believe so. I use the same theory with my silkies. I figure any bird putting that much effort into all those extra fancy feathers needs a bit more to help 'fuel' the growth. Right now, while all my birds are molting or young, I use a higher protein feed for them all. But I'll switch back to a lower protein layer in another month or so and provide the protein as treats on the side.

Quote:

I believe so. I use the same theory with my silkies. I figure any bird putting that much effort into all those extra fancy feathers needs a bit more to help 'fuel' the growth. Right now, while all my birds are molting or young, I use a higher protein feed for them all. But I'll switch back to a lower protein layer in another month or so and provide the protein as treats on the side.

What Kind Of Treats Do You Use?

Quote:

What Kind Of Treats Do You Use?

Manna Pro, usually fed by hand to encourage social behavior.

Also grease and gristle leftovers from the meat we eat, mixed with dry oatmeal.

And my birds all get to free-range a few minutes each day for bugs and greens.
I sacrifice a bit of 'show quality' with this one, because they get to scratch around and it damages foot feathers. But I want my birds to happy and healthy, so the loss of 'comdition' is an acceptable trade for me. I still have awesome foot feathers on my birds!

Since we also have pheasants we will mix about10% of our Pheasant feed which is 25% protien with our normal lay Crumb.

In the winter we will add about 5 % to help ensure there is no feather picking.

We also feed Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) as scratch to all of the Chickens to help with feather quality.

Back
Top Bottom