D'uccle Thread

Oh, good! I have a question for y'all about your D'uccles. My mom and I have a flock of 10 chickens. Most of them are bantam sized due to my great-uncle's breeding style. We were looking to get a few new bantam sized hens to join out flock, as we have 2 grown roos and a lone fall hatch that is also a roo.

My question is this: I was looking through the Meyer hatchery catalog, and they have D'unccles, but say that they don't tolerate heat well. We live in North Carolina, and are wondering what it means that they don't handle heat well? Should we avoid this breed because of Southern humid, icky summers?
I have one D'Uccle pullet and she did fine this past summer, it gets plenty hot and humid here....I have learned don't necessarily believe everything in the hatcheries' description ....

Hey all!
I got my first d'Uccle (Mille Fleur pullet) in August and then in Septemberish I got a male so this spring we will have babies!
A few questions: When do they stop growing and what age do they stat laying eggs?

Well, my D'Uccle pullet was hatched 4/1 and hasn't started laying yet. She looks close now and is checking the nest boxes. I only have one, so don't know what is typical. But summer hatched chicks may wait till spring. Days are getting longer, you'll have to let us know.

Hey all!

I got my first d'Uccle (Mille Fleur pullet) in August and then in Septemberish I got a male so this spring we will have babies!

A few questions: When do they stop growing and what age do they stat laying eggs?
They are usually fully grown and mature by 6 months. My hens always wait till a few weeks after the solstice to start laying, unless they were hatched really early in the year. If your hen was hatched in the fall, it'll probably be another month or two before she starts laying.
Enjoy your d'Uccles! :)

They are usually fully grown and mature by 6 months. My hens always wait till a few weeks after the solstice to start laying, unless they were hatched really early in the year. If your hen was hatched in the fall, it'll probably be another month or two before she starts laying.
Enjoy your d'Uccles! :)
Ok so she'll be done growing next month then I guess because she hatched in early August. :)
Thank you very much!

Hi All,

I'm a Sumatra Enthusiast, but I saw my first Porcelain D'uccle at a poultry show this January and fell in love. I'm here to learn some more about the D'uccle breed in hopes that I might take on a few Porcelains in the near future!

From my research I understand that they are a little difficult to breed because they either don't an interest in reproducing or laying eggs. But the hens are otherwise, good setters like most bantams???

Hi All,

I'm a Sumatra Enthusiast, but I saw my first Porcelain D'uccle at a poultry show this January and fell in love. I'm here to learn some more about the D'uccle breed in hopes that I might take on a few Porcelains in the near future!

From my research I understand that they are a little difficult to breed because they either don't an interest in reproducing or laying eggs. But the hens are otherwise, good setters like most bantams???
Mine have no problem breeding. The hens don't lay very well, they will lay in spurts, producing a clutch before going broody, so you may only get a few chances a year to hatch some.

Hello there! I've already posted in the "for sale" area but just in case, does anyone have some d'Uccle pullets for sale in NC? Or hens? Thanks and have a great day!

7F69D591-8E06-4FA0-8E51-013BD677A2BF.jpeg
I am finally a d’uccle owner! I love the fancier breeds of chicken. I have been a fancier of d’uccles for a long time now and finally got my hands on some porcelains. I am getting some more varieties later this year. These are hatchery birds and I am well aware they won’t be show material but when I actually decide to start showing I will get some show birds.

Back
Top Bottom