Duck’s wings feathers “naked”

jennaaiello

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2021
Hello All - I’m looking for guidance on a duck I just adopted who has “naked” feather shafts at the end of her wings. The duck is not exhibiting any other symptoms, though I don’t know her that well; we’ve only had her a few weeks. She seems to be eating, drinking, playing in water and grooming herself just fine. She does quite a lot of grooming in comparison to my pekin (though I don’t know how much time is typically spent grooming - I’m new to ducks).
What I know about her:
She’s 1.5 years, is a Khaki Campbell, is sporadically laying.
I initially thought maybe she’s molting, but there’s been no regrowth at all. And it doesn’t look like angel wing - she holds her wings tight to her back.
I’m on the hunt for an exotic vet in my area, but no luck so far. :(
Any direction would be appreciated!
Thanks!
56E81383-1050-45B0-A6A6-E8C060E27DF9.jpeg

Can you get better photos?
What type of swimming water is available?
Have you checked for pests?
If you've had her for a few weeks, it could be feather picking from your existing flock. Ducks can be quite bullying. It also could be molting. Usually they don't lose feathers like that, but if there is picking on top of molting, that would be my guess. The wings look similar to when my two juvenile drakes would beat each other up.

Thanks for your response! She came to us with her feathers like this. I’m not sure what her living conditions were like at her first home, though I suspect not great. The previous owners said they fed their ducks “scraps,” so guessing not amazing care. She currently has access to a kiddie pool for swimming and a couple of buckets of fresh water for dipping/drinking/eating. I clean and change them all daily. I checked her for pests, but didn’t see anything out of the ordinary, though admittedly I could be missing something. I’ll try and get a better picture at some point today.

Thanks for your response! She came to us with her feathers like this. I’m not sure what her living conditions were like at her first home, though I suspect not great. The previous owners said they fed their ducks “scraps,” so guessing not amazing care. She currently has access to a kiddie pool for swimming and a couple of buckets of fresh water for dipping/drinking/eating. I clean and change them all daily. I checked her for pests, but didn’t see anything out of the ordinary, though admittedly I could be missing something. I’ll try and get a better picture at some point today.
Oh I forgot to mention that I haven’t seen any bullying in my current flock. We have all females and only have 3 ducks and 3 chickens. They were all kept separate until a couple days ago.

That makes sense. I bet she was getting picked on in her previous flock. It will take time for her to get back into good condition, but if shes molting it will be sooner rather than later. My boys regrew their feathers when they molted and now look great.
However, they will probably scuffle in the spring and their feathers will become tattered again.

Back
Top Bottom