Duck #2

thesmiths

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
We have a 2 month old mallard (female, we think) named Scuba who lost her friend a month ago and is lonely. We are working on getting her set up outside in a makeshift coup and enclosed run, since it's warming up and she has all her adult feathers in. She will go out this weekend. We have been looking everywhere for a friend for her, and just got one today.

The duckling is two days old, and is obviously scared to be alone. We are going to set up a mirror by her brooder box (clear plastic tub) and give her a stuffed animal. We think that they would both be happier if they were able to see each other, but we are worried about introducing them. We've heard some scary stories of bigger ducks picking on the babies and even stomping them to death.

Anyone have successful experiences and advice for getting them together without trouble?

Thanks!

Here she is...no name yet. The one we lost was named "Ducky"...

Too cute!!! I am new to ducks so can't give any advice, sorry. I have 3 Pekin and 3 Rouin ducklings about 4 weeks old. Sorry for your loss. Good Luck

We have a 2 month old mallard (female, we think) named Scuba who lost her friend a month ago and is lonely. We are working on getting her set up outside in a makeshift coup and enclosed run, since it's warming up and she has all her adult feathers in. She will go out this weekend. We have been looking everywhere for a friend for her, and just got one today.

The duckling is two days old, and is obviously scared to be alone. We are going to set up a mirror by her brooder box (clear plastic tub) and give her a stuffed animal. We think that they would both be happier if they were able to see each other, but we are worried about introducing them. We've heard some scary stories of bigger ducks picking on the babies and even stomping them to death.

Anyone have successful experiences and advice for getting them together without trouble?

Thanks!

Here she is...no name yet. The one we lost was named "Ducky"...

Aww how cute, you have to introduce them slowly, keep them so that they can see each other but can't do harm to each other. Sometimes with them being alone, they are soo excited to have a friend that there's no need to worry. Just keep and eye on them together and make sure they can see each other at all times.

I would just give them a few minutes at a time and increase the time with each visit. Because they are so young they will want to bond and form their own little "flock." I had 2 "flocks" last year. 8 domestics and one wild mallard all at the same time. The domestics did not take to the little mallard but he didn't seem to mind. He could hide real well and was super quick. After about 2 weeks they stopped picking on him. Shortly after that I got a Muscovy duckling and another Mallard duckling, both rescues, I kept them together, separate because of the size difference with my others, but after they all became the same size I let them all together. The two wild mallards became a mating pair this spring.

Congrats on getting a new duckling! I agree with LACrystol on introducing them, but make sure the big one can't get into the area that the little one is in for now.

Would splitting the brooder (with something like plastic poultry fence) so they can sit side by side but not touch each other help? If anyone gets cranky, a towel draped over the fence keeps them from seeing each other.

Haha welllll not so well. We started by giving Scuba bath time, and she flew out of the bath tub when she was done...not even joking. So while she was drying herself off we brought the little one in and I put her in my lap (away from Scuba) so that they could hear each other. Scuba ran to the opposite side of the bathroom to get away from her. She started doing this sneaky walk thing with her neck straight out and then went for baby's head and knocked her over. Baby wants to be next to her so bad, but Scuba is acting scared of her. So we'll eventually try to have them together and separated by chicken wire until they warm up. It was quite the experience!

Back
Top Bottom