Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
With prices rising like they are, I decided to make some changes all around to save money and when it came to the ducks I found good solution and it’s incredibly good for them….

I went to a local grocery store and asked if they ever had any out of date produce that I could pick up. Turns out they actually had been throwing it all in the trash, so they were cool with me coming by every third day and collecting all the old produce from the back room.

I came away with two of these 60 pound containers today, it’s amazing, some of the stuff I would eat. Lol
FA64317F-FA78-4A66-8469-C34EE6C17BF4.jpeg

I then ran it all through a food processor and anything that the ducks can’t eat goes to compost. It’s a little of a hassle, but appears to be worth it, and they are really enjoying it!
1468A68F-C8F7-4BED-A1CA-6875E7B7AD3D.jpeg

@Gizmo Carp that’s so awesome! Was this a chain grocery store or like a mom & pop?
I went around a few stores and at most of the mom and pop type stores the manager already had a friend that took all he had to feed hogs. That was the story a couple of times, but I tried the Save a Lot store in my town and that is where I was able to get a connection. I’m guessing Save a Lot is nation wide?.. I don’t know for sure. I bet Walmart or other big names have a policy against what we are doing or they may give to a food bank, which is good too, I hate to see food go to waste.

I bet Walmart or other big names have a policy against what we are doing
Yep.
or they may give to a food bank, which is good too, I hate to see food go to waste.
Nope. It's trashed.

I used to collect produce waste from Brookshires, they had huge bags of it. When they clamped down and quit giving away the rotten produce I found a bread bakery and started feeding wheat bread and donuts.

Yep.

Nope. It's trashed.

I used to collect produce waste from Brookshires, they had huge bags of it. When they clamped down and quit giving away the rotten produce I found a bread bakery and started feeding wheat bread and donuts.
Sad, what some large companies do. They probably are afraid some employee would end up selling or giving products away called “out of date” to friends, but still the amount of wasted food is insane. Also, no excuse to not give to a proper organisation for the needy.

Sad, what some large companies do. They probably are afraid some employee would end up selling or giving products away called “out of date” to friends, but still the amount of wasted food is insane.
FR! It's disgusting. I hate waste of any sort.

Back
Top Bottom