Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
@HeatherKellyB Hi Heather, how is your dad doing?
Thank you so much for asking. The transplant team said that he would need to continue dialysis to give the new kidney time to "wake up" but he hasn't had dialysis since he got the call Tuesday morning. The kidney was functioning a little bit the next day and has continued to improve ❤️ He has had some trouble with losing his breath easily but they planned on possible discharge Sunday. Last night he started struggling to breath and his oxygen saturation was in the low 80s. The emergency response team was called and he's been moved to another unit where he'll be monitored more closely. He is stabilized but just having trouble with excess fluid in his lungs. So he won't be getting discharged tomorrow. Of course things could be worse, so I'm grateful for everything going well. I am really amazed this kidney has done better than expected and my Dad has already been thinking about plans once he's no longer tied to this huge dialysis machine and everything that goes along with it. Dialysis eats up 13 hours of each and every day, so he is so excited at the chance to get to be in charge of his life again. My daughter is his only grandchild and I know he can't wait to take her camping and many other fun trips. She is amazing with a rifle, thanks to him, so they're probably going to turkey shoots (before he couldn't take her because he had to be home early to get connected to dialysis). Thanks again for asking. How are your ducks?

Any chance that video of them quacking at you laughing, or is it the other way around, is in the works? I imagine it's a lot easier said than done. That scenario runs through my mind so much and it's pretty hilarious
I laugh at a joke then they quack back. Then I laugh at them quacking, which makes them quack more. Then there's laughing and quacking at the same time - at that point who knows what came first. The laugh or the quack?

I haven't made a video yet. With everything that happened with my dog it might be a while. I don't make very good videos, though. So hopefully I can capture how terribly funny it is.

I laugh at a joke then they quack back. Then I laugh at them quacking, which makes them quack more. Then there's laughing and quacking at the same time - at that point who knows what came first. The laugh or the quack?

I haven't made a video yet. With everything that happened with my dog it might be a while. I don't make very good videos, though. So hopefully I can capture how terribly funny it is.
How are things with your dog? I know he was feeling very bad and chemo was in the near future.

Thank you so much for asking. The transplant team said that he would need to continue dialysis to give the new kidney time to "wake up" but he hasn't had dialysis since he got the call Tuesday morning. The kidney was functioning a little bit the next day and has continued to improve ❤️ He has had some trouble with losing his breath easily but they planned on possible discharge Sunday. Last night he started struggling to breath and his oxygen saturation was in the low 80s. The emergency response team was called and he's been moved to another unit where he'll be monitored more closely. He is stabilized but just having trouble with excess fluid in his lungs. So he won't be getting discharged tomorrow. Of course things could be worse, so I'm grateful for everything going well. I am really amazed this kidney has done better than expected and my Dad has already been thinking about plans once he's no longer tied to this huge dialysis machine and everything that goes along with it. Dialysis eats up 13 hours of each and every day, so he is so excited at the chance to get to be in charge of his life again. My daughter is his only grandchild and I know he can't wait to take her camping and many other fun trips. She is amazing with a rifle, thanks to him, so they're probably going to turkey shoots (before he couldn't take her to them because he had to be home early to get connected to dialysis). Thanks again for asking. How are your ducks?
Oh wow, 13 hours?! That's intense. I used to take my friend to dialysis 3 times a week for 4 hours and that was hard enough. It's so nice to plan for life when he is feeling better. đź’–

Thank you so much for asking. The transplant team said that he would need to continue dialysis to give the new kidney time to "wake up" but he hasn't had dialysis since he got the call Tuesday morning. The kidney was functioning a little bit the next day and has continued to improve ❤️ He has had some trouble with losing his breath easily but they planned on possible discharge Sunday. Last night he started struggling to breath and his oxygen saturation was in the low 80s. The emergency response team was called and he's been moved to another unit where he'll be monitored more closely. He is stabilized but just having trouble with excess fluid in his lungs. So he won't be getting discharged tomorrow. Of course things could be worse, so I'm grateful for everything going well. I am really amazed this kidney has done better than expected and my Dad has already been thinking about plans once he's no longer tied to this huge dialysis machine and everything that goes along with it. Dialysis eats up 13 hours of each and every day, so he is so excited at the chance to get to be in charge of his life again. My daughter is his only grandchild and I know he can't wait to take her camping and many other fun trips. She is amazing with a rifle, thanks to him, so they're probably going to turkey shoots (before he couldn't take her because he had to be home early to get connected to dialysis). Thanks again for asking. How are your ducks?
That sounds like really good progress - there are always ups and downs. What an amazing life change for your dad to not have that commitment. I hope he has many amazing times down the road with your daughter - so special!

I hope your dog gets better. We lost ours to a brain tumour earlier this year. We could do nothing but wait for the end with him. Hopefully you can do something for your dog and he has some more years in him.

Oh wow, 13 hours?! That's intense. I used to take my friend to dialysis 3 times a week for 4 hours and that was hard enough. It's so nice to plan for life when he is feeling better. đź’–
He was able to go to the dialysis clinic whenever his kidneys began failing but once he had to start going everyday, it became too much and he started doing it at home. He did hemodialysis for several years and that didn't take as long but my stepmom wouldn't let him do it overnight in fear of the machine malfunctioning (it did once at the dialysis clinic and it was scary but thankfully professionals were there) with most of his blood being cleaned while they were sleeping. So he started the peritoneal dialysis and that takes a long time. He's able to do it while he sleeps which is much better, but once he wakes up, he tied to the amount of line he has. If he has a morning appointment the next day, he has to start in time to make sure he's finished in time to get there. With the peritoneal dialysis, he had to leave some fluid in his abdomen and them spend more time mid-late afternoon draining that. Plus the supplies are unreal! He has an entire bedroom devoted to dialysis supplies only and it's a large bedroom. A large chunk of his life has been around dialysis. We're very blessed that dialysis kept him alive for so long, so I hate to sound ungrateful. Dialysis is an awesome tool but it certainly has it's drawbacks

Back
Top Bottom