Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
I don't feel anything, but there has to be something, right? I mean it wouldn't get infected for no reason.
This makes me so sad.
Not necessarily. Do you have any broad spectrum antibiotics, just in case? I would want to make an incision but I'd probably try soaking it and keeping her contained for a few days before. She'd probably benefit from some anti inflammatory meds

Not necessarily. Do you have any broad spectrum antibiotics, just in case? I would want to make an incision but I'd probably try soaking it and keeping her contained for a few days before. She'd probably benefit from some anti inflammatory meds
I don't have anything. ☹️
What would be considered broad spectrum? I think we're going to town today or tomorrow so I can get what she needs.

20210412_170109_HDR.jpg

Here's Ping, the last Pekin I ever had. He had beautiful stance and never had issues with his feet.
Y'all have me thinking about breeding Pekin (not where y'all were headed with this topic) but I'm the kind of person who has no issues culling any stock that has health issues or doesn't meet breed standard. It kinda seems like this reoccurring problem could be resolved with proper breeding.
Rex breeders do the same thing with their rabbits. Culling offspring with thin foot hair keeps future generations from having sore hocks. Maybe a stronger more upright Pekin wouldn't struggle so much.
Any breed can get BF, but it seems like the Pekin are prone to it more than most. They're such a nice breed for duck fat too, I loved eating their meat. The first duck I ever tasted🤤

I don't have anything. ☹️
What would be considered broad spectrum? I think we're going to town today or tomorrow so I can get what she needs.
Baytril is my antibiotic of choice for severe infections, but it's not approved for animals used for food (egg layers and/or meat). This drug has to be ordered.
As for pain and inflammation, you can give her ibuprofen or aspirin. The vet gave Carprofen for Honey Boo Boo (to get her by until I brought her back to be euthanized 🤬). Carprofen is by Rx.

Last edited:
Where did y'all get your Pekin ducks? Just a hatchery or did any of you go to a breeder?
Mine was an abandoned pond rescue. She did live for 7 years. But had life saving surgery at about 1.5-2 years of age. Foot problems, reproductive issues, more surgery (at the vet). So yeah, she had a long life but it was very expensive. She was also an amazing friend.

Mine was an abandoned pond rescue. She did live for 7 years. But had life saving surgery at about 1.5-2 years of age. Foot problems, reproductive issues, more surgery (at the vet). So yeah, she had a long life but it was very expensive. She was also an amazing friend.
Poor girl, glad she got to have a happy life with you❤️

Back
Top Bottom