Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
I'm changing magnolia to daisy for now, but yes! I always need more, there's no suck thing as too many🤪
1642607573113.gif

Hi! I have a question for my fellow DAA folk. I still haven't integrated any of my bantam ducks so this is regarding my first Calls- Lylah, Paisley, Tulley and Faith aka Lylah's flock.
Lylah has been the Queen of that flock since hatch. She's easily my most chatty and outgoing duck. She hasn't started laying. She hated Paisley and would bite at him if he came near her as she preferred Tulley, although I never noticed her being mounted until very recently. Paisley and Faith formed a strong relationship and Faith laid for a couple of months and stopped not too long ago. About a week ago I started finding eggs again and I have noticed Lylah allowing at least one of the boys to mate her. I can't tell if it's Tulley since they're almost identical from a distance. I've noticed the back of her neck having the appearance that she's being mounted but certainly nowhere near bald. Lylah does look more full in her abdomen. Paisley has started being more aggressive to her. He will chase her around and grabs her wing or just bites her. He sweet as pie to Faith and the only time he's not by her side, is when he's chasing Lylah away. Tulley is not really doing anything and he stays with Paisley all the time. If Paisley chases Lylah, Tulley just follows Paisley and does nothing while he is being aggressive. If anything or anyone goes near Faith, Paisley is running to her and getting between her and whatever he's worried about. He seems pretty amazing to Faith and Tulley is the complete opposite with Lylah. Lylah has been so quiet since yesterday afternoon. I picked her up and she seems normal. No breathing differences, no coughing, she's pooping, eating and drinking. I remember that Faith worried me the first week she was laying but nobody was being mean to her. Ive put out extra oyster shell just in case Lylah is just getting used to the feeling of being an egg maker/layer. I am concerned with Paisley's behavior towards her. Does anything sound alarming or concerning? I am just so worried about my precious Lylah. I have 2 Call hens and my lone Aussie Spot hen that I hope to add to this flock. Being the crazy worry wort, I haven't because I'm worried about Maggie's wing being broken (she has angel wing) when the boys mount her and Miley being so tiny (she's an adult but she just seems so tiny next to the others). Obviously I worry too much and make things way more difficult than they should be and I know that but I just want to find out if this is normal or if not, do you have any advice that might help? Thank you and as always, my apologies for the extremely long post 😶

My Butterscotch pair of call ducks came today from MT.
I didn't get the best pictures, because it's -4'F out and my phone was going dead (fully charged) and wouldn't let me put the flash on. :rant
I gave them some warm water & food, and I'm leaving them alone for a while to settle in.
View attachment 2966612
View attachment 2966614
They are gorgeous!! Did you get these from Duck Creek?

Hi! I have a question for my fellow DAA folk. I still haven't integrated any of my bantam ducks so this is regarding my first Calls- Lylah, Paisley, Tulley and Faith aka Lylah's flock.
Lylah has been the Queen of that flock since hatch. She's easily my most chatty and outgoing duck. She hasn't started laying. She hated Paisley and would bite at him if he came near her as she preferred Tulley, although I never noticed her being mounted until very recently. Paisley and Faith formed a strong relationship and Faith laid for a couple of months and stopped not too long ago. About a week ago I started finding eggs again and I have noticed Lylah allowing at least one of the boys to mate her. I can't tell if it's Tulley since they're almost identical from a distance. I've noticed the back of her neck having the appearance that she's being mounted but certainly nowhere near bald. Lylah does look more full in her abdomen. Paisley has started being more aggressive to her. He will chase her around and grabs her wing or just bites her. He sweet as pie to Faith and the only time he's not by her side, is when he's chasing Lylah away. Tulley is not really doing anything and he stays with Paisley all the time. If Paisley chases Lylah, Tulley just follows Paisley and does nothing while he is being aggressive. If anything or anyone goes near Faith, Paisley is running to her and getting between her and whatever he's worried about. He seems pretty amazing to Faith and Tulley is the complete opposite with Lylah. Lylah has been so quiet since yesterday afternoon. I picked her up and she seems normal. No breathing differences, no coughing, she's pooping, eating and drinking. I remember that Faith worried me the first week she was laying but nobody was being mean to her. Ive put out extra oyster shell just in case Lylah is just getting used to the feeling of being an egg maker/layer. I am concerned with Paisley's behavior towards her. Does anything sound alarming or concerning? I am just so worried about my precious Lylah. I have 2 Call hens and my lone Aussie Spot hen that I hope to add to this flock. Being the crazy worry wort, I haven't because I'm worried about Maggie's wing being broken (she has angel wing) when the boys mount her and Miley being so tiny (she's an adult but she just seems so tiny next to the others). Obviously I worry too much and make things way more difficult than they should be and I know that but I just want to find out if this is normal or if not, do you have any advice that might help? Thank you and as always, my apologies for the extremely long post 😶
My guess would be that if she is in the first stages of laying, she’s just a little irritable and the others notice. I feel like it will pass. My drakes are getting rowdy, and I’ve noticed them going after younger girls that probably aren’t ready yet, but the boys try anyway. It just makes for overall tension when the …. um…. Love juices start flowing. ;)

I’d suggest keeping an eye on her. You could try an epsom salt bath, but probably not necessary.
And I believe it’s been a while since you posted pics of them, I personally would love to see them again. :D

Edit - I also meant to say, when they are laying, their bellies almost drag the ground, and are less round than when they aren’t laying. It’s almost like you can imagine an egg in the lowest part of their belly, just waiting to pop out. Lol

Back
Top Bottom