DUCK advice needed Please.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RaynBO, Aug 5, 2013.

1. RaynBO

RaynBO New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    California
    We got 3 ducks for (Easter 2013 they were about 1 week old ). now they are 20 weeks old. I don't remember what breed the owner said they were and I never knew the sex of them.
    this week their tiny tail feathers started to curl up. its really cute.

The 1st week of June (2013) we got 2 others we were told that the large was a male and the small was a female but we don't know their ages or breeds. they are different than the other ones we got around Easter time.

so in both cases we now have 5 ducks we don't know if they are male or female. or what their breeds are . Can you please help me tell the differences. and when should I start watching for eggs. and such.

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/0/03/240x240px-LM-0328be60_1375672250776.jpeg

here is where you can see the Pics of all the ducks. I am still learning how to post .
    T[​IMG]

hank You
    Kim

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    If all of the tails are curled on the original ducks then it sounds like you might have 4 males and 1 female.

3. duckcrazy

duckcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    Also you can often tell a male by his quack. Males have a softer raspy quack, while females tend to quack loudly and chatter a lot. Of course this is not 100% but most of the time it is a good marker before the male's curl feather comes in. If they are molting, the male's curled tail feather will be gone until a new one grows in.

1 person likes this.
  4. RaynBO

RaynBO New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    California
    what breeds are they? here are some more pictures I took. hope these are more clear. If they are all male then will they start fighting each other? should I get female mates for them? monogamous?
    I think you can lookup my profile and see more images of the different animals.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Hi there & welcome. Your ducks look like some Runners to me. Your ducks with curly tails are the males, and if you do have 4 males (drakes) and 1 female (duck), you will likely have trouble. Each drake needs several ducks of his own. Some people say 2 or 3-- but in my experience you need more like 4 ducks for each drake.

6. duckcrazy

duckcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    I have one very sweet male who originally started with 4 females, one that was his mate. He drove the girls all crazy. Now I have 3 more females (7) total, and he hides from the ladies--tee hee hee. He has really settled down. According to the Storey's Guide: "As a rule, 2-5 drakes will not fight among themselves if there are NO FEMALES." What I have heard is 5-6 females per drake can greatly reduce fighting. Separation also works but it can be a pain. So lets see....... 3 males, so hey, now you just need to go out and get 14-15 more females!

1 person likes this.
  7. mkeilman

mkeilman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    Bucks county pa
    Hi! I agree those ducks look like Indian runners to me. ...I am sorry to re-post a new question on your thread, I have an iPad and for months still cannot figure out how to start a new thread question here...I have Easter ducks too, turns out 3 male (. 2 jumbo pekin, one kc) and one female ( kc). I have read so many posts about how terrible this ratio is, so far they are a really tight, happy group ( they do regularly try to mount her during morning swim, but are so far gentle) she Is definetly the leader of the group. I had been trying to rehome the two Pekins for a while, and finally have someone interested, but now I' m feeling the ducks are getting along so well and are so close I should reconsider keeping them together. ( they free range now, that includes a large pond, and the Pekins have been awesome at keeping wild Canadian geese away). I really dont have the coop space for more ducks at this point. and even so i dont think the girl or her bodyguard boys will accept any new girl ducks to their group. Looking to find someone who can relate to my situation, and had a happy ending. Or may have some insight?...(btw these ducks are super human friendly, hand raised by my daughter, and believe they are part human).

8. HollyDuckFarmer

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan

Don't doubt yourself. While all is ok at the moment, when the Testosterone really starts up your single female will be at great risk being with all those males. They will breed and breed and breed and she could die. I had a female die here (drowned in the water bucket), so I advise strongly against keeping a single duck with any quantity of drakes.

9. mkeilman

mkeilman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    Bucks county pa
    I understand. I'm sorry for your loss. That must have been terrible to witness. Our little girl duck is so sweet, and so attached to her group and us, I would never forgive myself if something happened. Wondering if you know what age the testosterone really kicks onto high gear with Pekins they already have their drake feather, they are 4 1/2 months now.

10. HollyDuckFarmer

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I say 16-20 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by