Duck advice

Zealo

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
I've got six healthy pekin duckling who are a week and a half old. Their on meatbird feed and brewers yeast, which I add to their water, and they usually get scrambled eggs here and there as a treat. I keep a water feeder and a bowl of water for them. A red light for heat, and pine shavings for bedding.(used to have newspaper on the bottom for easy cleaning, but that didn't work to well..)
Also, I now have their feeder and water feeder on a block of wood so their more towards their chest level.

The only problems I've had so far is trying to keep their bedding dry.
The other night I cleaned it out, and they've got most of it wet already..

This is my first time for raising ducklings
And mostly just looking for helpful tips.

What did you go throw with yours
How To Keep Bedding Clean
When will I have to move them outside
Or just tips on how to keep them strong and healthy.

Video I took a while back
Not as big as they are now 0_0

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy66/reapers0blood/100_0347_zpsasik1yky.mp4

Last edited:
This is my setup:
0.jpg

I clean twice a day - once mid-morning, and once before bed. I just take up all the hardware and roll up the towels and take them outside and shake them out. In the mornings I clean everything with soap and water, and they get fresh food and water then.

Once the tub is empty, I clean it and fill it with water just deep enough for them to touch the bottom still, and I let them have a swim for about 10-15 minutes. Then they come back out, everything gets rinsed and dried, and all the stuff goes back into the brooder.

I'll keep doing this until they're big enough to go into the larger brooder I'm going to be setting up with wood shavings in a kiddie pool. I still need to build a water containment system for that.

I clean twice a day - once mid-morning, and once before bed. I just take up all the hardware and roll up the towels and take them outside and shake them out. In the mornings I clean everything with soap and water, and they get fresh food and water then.

Once the tub is empty, I clean it and fill it with water just deep enough for them to touch the bottom still, and I let them have a swim for about 10-15 minutes. Then they come back out, everything gets rinsed and dried, and all the stuff goes back into the brooder.

I'll keep doing this until they're big enough to go into the larger brooder I'm going to be setting up with wood shavings in a kiddie pool. I still need to build a water containment system for that.

I used a kiddie pool as a brooder this year, loved it! Only problem I had was mine wasn't a smooth bottom so had to hose out all the junk that got compacted into all the crevices daily. That doesn't help with your other questions. Just figured Id give a heads up with the kiddie pool!

Sorry just realized you weren't the person who started the post! Lol

Last edited:
I used a kiddie pool as a brooder this year, loved it! Only problem I had was mine wasn't a smooth bottom so had to hose out all the junk that got compacted into all the crevices daily. That doesn't help with your other questions. Just figured Id give a heads up with the kiddie pool!

Sorry just realized you weren't the person who started the post! Lol

I'll have to remember the smooth bottom when I pick up the pool! Important tips, here.

I'll have to remember the smooth bottom when I pick up the pool! Important tips, here.

Oh well glad I could help then! I had put fencing around mine and hung like a plastic coffee can that was cut into a waterer (like cut a square out from top opening to half way down) And so they wouldn't knock it over, I hung it (drilled a hole and attached with zip tie) high so they couldn't really play and make a mess with the water. Plus it didn't take up floor space. It helped at least keep wet shavings in on spot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom