Duck Antibiotics? (Prolapsed Penis)

You can buy Durvet duramycin-10 which is tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder 6.4 oz from Rural King. It is to be added to water and has the directions for chickens and turkeys on the back. A chicken would be about the same weight. It cost around $5.

You can buy Durvet duramycin-10 which is tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder 6.4 oz from Rural King. It is to be added to water and has the directions for chickens and turkeys on the back. A chicken would be about the same weight. It cost around $5.
If not infected though, why an antibiotic?

She was asking about antibiotics. This is what I have found locally for emergencies. I am not saying she should use something now but she was worried about infection setting in. Good to keep on hand.

She was asking about antibiotics. This is what I have found locally for emergencies. I am not saying she should use something now but she was worried about infection setting in. Good to keep on hand.
Sorry I was referring to 123tanyab and she didn't ask about antibiotics, wasn't even thinking about the other posting.

Last edited:
I would get a vet to do the surgery. I have heard about people doing it themselves (just getting scissors and snipping the dying part off) and their drakes were sexually frustrated for the rest of their life. My Bob got 4 out of 5 inches removed by the best avian vet in town. He still jumps on the other females and thinks he is mating he even ejaculates still. I don't recommend doing the surgery yourself there is so much that can go wrong and you could really hurt your drake. But if you have to make sure its quick for him good luck.

Ok thanks. o ya and at the vet they said the best thing to do to get any swelling down is to soak em in sugar water. I f thats helpful for anyone else??

After reading and reading this is the only thing I found too! I performed some bumblefoot surgery and have fixed my share of ripped open, cut up, gushing blood and down right stomach flipping injuries. but this, this is a whole different level! I mean ya I am going to school for vet tech and can handle everything but this is still kinda freaking me out! I feel really bad to have to do this but I do want to fix them and make them more comfortable and healthy! I had a really old gander who had this and I wish I could have known this then! but I have 2 old drakes and I think another gander who are still fertile and have this so I thank everyone for their comments and knowledge!!!! My old Magpie drake has this but I have eggs in the incubator who only he had access to the girl that layed them and they are fertile so I guess it still works!!! but then only some are fertile, about 1/3 eggs so it must not work well! so I am really going to try this as soon as possible so I can fix him up so he feels better and can produce more! I will let you guys know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom