Duck Antibiotics? (Prolapsed Penis)

GotAnyGwapes?

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
I am new to the forum and so glad to have somewhere to go for some information!

I just got a male Cayuga that had a prolapsed penis (he could not retract it). We didn't know this before we got him. I researched all I could on the subject and it sounded like the best thing to do was remove the portion that was unhealthy and keep the duck clean and he should heal just fine. Today we performed the "procedure" as cleanly as we were able and the duck seems to be doing quite well so far. He was easily able to retract what was left, and I placed him in a clean well bedded pen with fresh water to swim in.

I am a bit worried now about a possible infection for this poor guy. This is not something I have ever had to deal with before. I thought maybe I should get some kind of antibiotic and keep in on hand in case he ends up needing something. I do not know if it would be wise to start him on something preemptively.

So thanks to this forum I was able to find out what antibiotics are safe for ducks, but I have some questions. I called a vet supply store and asked if they carried Agramycin. To my embarassment the woman explained that Agramycin is a brand, not a medication itself. She said what I needed was just an injectable penicillin. Is that what Agramycin is? I just want to be sure I am giving him the correct medication if he does in fact end up needing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We had to perform that procedure on one of our drakes. We didn't treat him with antibiotics, but kept him separate for a few days and clean with clean bathing water. It healed up with no problems and he's 8 years old now, so I figure we did it about 6 years ago. He should be fine, good luck with him!

Thank you. I am glad to hear from someone else that had to do it. That makes me feel so much better.

GotAnyGwapes? :

Thank you. I am glad to hear from someone else that had to do it. That makes me feel so much better.

AND
welcome-byc.gif

Please explain this procedure, just thinking about it makes me cringe.​

Let me tell you, I am STILL cringing. Our procedure involved a clean sturdy pair of kitchen shears, some iodine, and some antibiotic cream which didn't do much good as it would not stick (of course). My friend held the duck on his back and we covered his head because that just seems like a terrible thing to make a boy watch. I examined the penis and found the best place to cut to remove all the dead or dying skin and, with my stomach rolling, I used the shears to snip off the rotting portion. I cleaned the area as best I could and set him loose in his recovery pen.

Ugh. I feel unwell now.

GotAnyGwapes? :

Let me tell you, I am STILL cringing. Our procedure involved a clean sturdy pair of kitchen shears, some iodine, and some antibiotic cream which didn't do much good as it would not stick (of course). My friend held the duck on his back and we covered his head because that just seems like a terrible thing to make a boy watch. I examined the penis and found the best place to cut to remove all the dead or dying skin and, with my stomach rolling, I used the shears to snip off the rotting portion. I cleaned the area as best I could and set him loose in his recovery pen.

Ugh. I feel unwell now.

Was there much bleeding? sounds like he would bleed to death, and did it cause much pain?
sorry to make you go through it again, but with 2 amourous drakes I feel we should know what to do in case we ever[ o please no] have to do this.
I keep thinking of things to say. But there is a product called Vetrericyn that you can buy at TSC, it is kinda pricey but well worth it. It is for wound and infection treatment. it comes in a spray and will last a good while.​

Last edited:
There was some bleeding, but really not a lot. I was suprised that was the standard procedure for this type of thing, but everything I read recommended it. I could not get my husband to help me out with it though. He flinched every time I mentioned it and just refused to be a part of this particular treatment. Luckily my friend was willing to come over and help.

You did exactly the right thing. I have discussed this with my avian vet (never had it happen though) and you have done everything he recommended to do. Once the penis starts to die you have no other option. Didn't talk about antibiotics though.... I think the iodine or some other wound spray would be enough for now. Just keep him in a clean pen with clean water and bedding (as clean as is possible with a duck!!).

Good for you for overcoming how you felt and doing the right thing for your drake. You saved his life. Well done.

Very proud of you for doing this, and yes for explaining what had to be done. Please keep us updated on how he is doing. And hoping for quick recovery!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for even telling me that this can happen. I would freak out to the max if this would happen to one of my ducks.

Back
Top Bottom