Duck attack

Predators will also respond to another predators urine. They try not step on each others territory. You can urinate around the coop area (male urine is better). We are the top predators. We had foxes in the area, they stopped visiting for a long time after my husband marked his territory.

An electric fence is a great idea!
The fox will watch you and your dog where you can't see it. It will watch and wait for the right time to attack. If you scare it off, it will keep coming at different times.
I wish you luck in securing your coop.
We made it through the first night after the attack, my dog was very interested by the old coop so I presume it came back but the birds were moved :) they will only explore the garden now if me or the dog go with them otherwise they sit knocking at the back door. I feel so bad for them x

Predators will also respond to another predators urine. They try not step on each others territory. You can urinate around the coop area (male urine is better). We are the top predators. We had foxes in the area, they stopped visiting for a long time after my husband marked his territory.
Thank you, we have a female dog :( I've been told to collect her waste and spread it round the back fence where the fox most likely comes from, but I'm sure my partner and 3 boys will be happy to pee around the garden 😂

It's just an awful way to lose a pet, I havent had chickens but a friend who has said they have personalities to. I'm sorry you lost her x
Gladys was special. She was a cross beak and needed some TLC. She would come when called and loved to be with us. I think she thought she was a person. I have a lot of birds but none as special as Gladys was. They all have personalities.

We have nothing like that in England, it's kind of amazing that youd have something like that in your garden x
We have a lot of predators here, fox, coyotes, bobcat, coons, possums plus lots of aerial predators. My birds are well protected.

I've managed to talk my partner into letting the fox live, were going to try and secure the coop and scare it away. If it keeps coming back I'll look into this.
I love owls, I'd want to keep it as a new pet :)
You may scare it away temporarily but it will keep lurking looking for an opportunity and will eventually kill when you least expect it.

We made it through the first night after the attack, my dog was very interested by the old coop so I presume it came back but the birds were moved :) they will only explore the garden now if me or the dog go with them otherwise they sit knocking at the back door. I feel so bad for them x
Free ranging is nice but you will eventually loose another bird/birds. I had a hawk once kill a bird not 10 feet from me. I had let the birds out and most went back into their nice large pen but one followed me into the blueberries. It happened very fast. The hawk didn't take her but did kill her.

Gladys was special. She was a cross beak and needed some TLC. She would come when called and loved to be with us. I think she thought she was a person. I have a lot of birds but none as special as Gladys was. They all have personalities.
They really do, boris was the boss of my little group, he protected the other 2 from my kids and would chase our dog around the garden pecking her tail, he was always first in line to come for treats, really comical :) I'm upset but he had a really good life and went out a hero x

Free ranging is nice but you will eventually loose another bird/birds. I had a hawk once kill a bird not 10 feet from me. I had let the birds out and most went back into their nice large pen but one followed me into the blueberries. It happened very fast. The hawk didn't take her but did kill her.
Yes I remember the panic when they were little whenever a magpie would come in the garden. We live in a built up area with gardens and fences on every side of us, I guess I was just naive and complacent. They have a small pen and coop but they outgrew it so we let them roam the garden in the day and on their big house at night. Their back in the small house at night which i think is fox proof so we need to build them a big pen for day time x

We have a lot of predators here, fox, coyotes, bobcat, coons, possums plus lots of aerial predators. My birds are well protected.
You may scare it away temporarily but it will keep lurking looking for an opportunity and will eventually kill when you least expect it.
I'm home watching them constantly at the minute but I have a training day on tuesday, i might just bring them in the house for the day x

Back
Top Bottom