Duck attack

tlgaskins

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2022
Something got into my duck coop last night and killed one of ducks and severely wounded the other. I put her in a large box on our porch away from flies. I plan to run to Tractor Supply to get Vetericyn shortly. Should I try to wash her off first before applying? Should I leave her alone for a day before messing with the wound? It's pretty extensive but she is drinking when i offer her water. We've had poultry for years and this is a first!

Do you have any pictures?

Trim the feathers from around the wounds, and flush with a saline solution before applying anything. I wouldn't leave it, I'd treat as soon as possible as a predators mouth and claws are full of bacteria.

Also offer her some electrolyte solution, or even gatorade, to help with shock.

Sorry to hear about this attack, and the loss of the one duck. :(

0CB18381-8655-4C17-86AD-D661EACB30F5.jpeg
0CB18381-8655-4C17-86AD-D661EACB30F5.jpeg

Can you bring her inside? Even if it's in the box.

Clean up and trim back the feathers, then take some more pics, please. It's hard to see what's going on with them in the way.

The poor dear, and you mustn't be doing too well either. I'm going to tag a few people for their opinion, too (no offense to any I didn't tag).

@Miss Lydia
@ruthhope
@Wyorp Rock
@Overo Mare

I hope one or more of these people can help, they have more experience than me.

i have seen ducks recover from horrendous attacks so hopefully, yours will too. The main thing is to keep her quiet and in semi-dark for now just so she rests.
Keep water and feed close so she can eat and drink when she wants too.
Do trim back the feather from the wound and wash them out real good with a saline solution many recipes online. then use the Veterycin spray. I'd have her inside too.
once you get the feathers trimmed back then take more pictures and explain what and where all the wounds are. if any internal organs are exposed. Trimming the feathers back will also help when healing starts you don't want feathers caught up inside the wounds when they are healing.
Nutri drench is another good one to use glad you have it.
Very sorry for the loss of your other duck.

Back
Top Bottom