Duck attacked by predator not sure how to bandage or medicate

Ducks are amazing at healing if given the chance. Sounds like Daffy is making progress. The main thing now is infection. Keeping the wound clean and treating it the proper way. I really like Vetericyn because we don't have to touch the wound once cleaned and disinfected You might want to clip or pluck the feathers closest to the wound so feathers don't get stuck inside when it begins to close up.

Have you ever used Manuka Honey @Eggcessive? I have used it on bumble before wrapping but haven't ever had a serious wound to treat. [Thank God]

Ducks are amazing at healing if given the chance. Sounds like Daffy is making progress. The main thing now is infection. Keeping the wound clean and treating it the proper way. I really like Vetericyn because we don't have to touch the wound once cleaned and disinfected You might want to clip or pluck the feathers closest to the wound so feathers don't get stuck inside when it begins to close up.

Have you ever used Manuka Honey @Eggcessive? I have used it on bumble before wrapping but haven't ever had a serious wound to treat. [Thank God]
I haven’t used it before, but it is supposed to be good for wounds. Yes trimming feathers that are getting into the wound is a good idea.

She doesn't like her picture being taken but Daffy is doing much better! She did end up getting a small infection on day 3 so we did a couple more days of penicillin and it cleared up. The wound is closing remarkably fast and she is starting to act herself again. I have given her 2 salt water baths and for now I am still giving her the pain medacine but she does not seem in a panic every time it is time for the next dose so I think I can stop it in a couple days too. Thank you everyone for your advice and support!

Attachments

• 20220520_222058.jpg
    20220520_222058.jpg
    706.6 KB · Views: 7
She doesn't like her picture being taken but Daffy is doing much better! She did end up getting a small infection on day 3 so we did a couple more days of penicillin and it cleared up. The wound is closing remarkably fast and she is starting to act herself again. I have given her 2 salt water baths and for now I am still giving her the pain medacine but she does not seem in a panic every time it is time for the next dose so I think I can stop it in a couple days too. Thank you everyone for your advice and support!
You did an excellent job caring for her! She is one very lucky duck to have you. Anyone else probably would have given up but you never did! Congratulations!

I have an indian runner duck about 8 weeks old weighs about 2 1/2lbs.

Last night we had our 3 Indian runners in their outdoor enclosure (we are putting them in it for a few hours at a time to get then used to it) and we got home an hour after dark to find Daffy had been attacked been a predator. Not sure what attacked them but there was digging around the cage and the holes are not very big. We think it was a grey fox.

Anyway, there is about 1/2 - 1/3 of Daffy's chest missing. (Pictures attached grafic warning) I don't think anything vital was hit because Daffy is still breathing, eating, and drinking. But Daffy was in shock and now that the shock is wearing off Daffy is just standing staring at us. We cleaned the would as soon as we found Daffy last night. We used hydrogen peroxide which we rinsed out with sterile water. We then out neosporin on the wound. We then bandaged it. We also injected penicillin which we will do for a few days.

There was bleeding when it happened but it quickly clotted and washed off easy. No obvious bleeding since we cleaned the wound.

Pooping is normal.

We removed Daffy from the brooder the other ducks are in and isolated Daffy in a large Costco sized tote with clean towels in the bottom so no bedding can get in the wound. We gave Daffy its own food and water.

We saw some online advice to not cover the wound because it will dry out and heal faster but we are afraid stuff will get into the wound without it being covered. We have tramadol for pets at home that we can give Daffy if we figure out the dosage because since the shock wore off Daffy has stopped eating and drinking as much as normal.

The advice i am seeking is should we cover the wound and what should we do for pain? Has anyone had anything like this happen with their duck?

UPDATE: We have given Daffy a dose of Meloxicam because she stopped eating and drinking and cleaned Daffy's wound again, this time with sterile Saline and then put Silver Honey antimicrobial spray gel on it. This is supposed to do the same job as Vetericyn (which we also bought) but it is supposed to also repel insects. We live in a trailer and have her in there with us but some Flys keep getting in and even though we kill them as fast as we find them if we can repel them from Daffy's wound that sounded safer. We are also putting a 0-3 month t-shirt on her (picture attached) because we stopped bandaging the wound but Daffy kept trying to preen it. Hopefully this allows the wound the air it needs to heal while not allowing her to damage the wound further. When we cleaned it my husband said the wound flesh looked darker and the wound looked a little smaller. When we gave her her second dose of penicillin we took a new picture of the wound (attached) so we can monitor the healing. Thinking of putting her in with her sisters after cleaning their pen for a few minutes to see if the competition will get her to eat and drink. Thank you everyone for the advice so far.
Update: Daffy is alive and well! She has grown back almost all of her feathers and although she sometimes has the effected wing slip down her side, she is able to keep it where she wants it most of the time so I don't think to much damage was done. She flaps and plays just like our other 2 ducks. Her chest will probably always have a divit in it but if her feathers keep coming in like they are, you would otherwise never know! Amazing how far she has come in 6 weeks!!

Attachments

• 16568193471235942593311554227632.jpg
    16568193471235942593311554227632.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 16568194418914229187352230919075.jpg
    16568194418914229187352230919075.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 7
Update: Daffy is alive and well! She has grown back almost all of her feathers and although she sometimes has the effected wing slip down her side, she is able to keep it where she wants it most of the time so I don't think to much damage was done. She flaps and plays just like our other 2 ducks. Her chest will probably always have a divit in it but if her feathers keep coming in like they are, you would otherwise never know! Amazing how far she has come in 6 weeks!!
What amazing news! We all rooted for you Daffy and you stayed strong! We knew you would. So glad to hear shes doing better. :hugs

Excellent update :)
You are a super duck parent !!

That’s great! So glad she made it! :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom