Duck attacked by predator not sure how to bandage or medicate

Jenniferaei

In the Brooder
May 15, 2022
I have an indian runner duck about 8 weeks old weighs about 2 1/2lbs.

Last night we had our 3 Indian runners in their outdoor enclosure (we are putting them in it for a few hours at a time to get then used to it) and we got home an hour after dark to find Daffy had been attacked been a predator. Not sure what attacked them but there was digging around the cage and the holes are not very big. We think it was a grey fox.

Anyway, there is about 1/2 - 1/3 of Daffy's chest missing. (Pictures attached grafic warning) I don't think anything vital was hit because Daffy is still breathing, eating, and drinking. But Daffy was in shock and now that the shock is wearing off Daffy is just standing staring at us. We cleaned the would as soon as we found Daffy last night. We used hydrogen peroxide which we rinsed out with sterile water. We then out neosporin on the wound. We then bandaged it. We also injected penicillin which we will do for a few days.

There was bleeding when it happened but it quickly clotted and washed off easy. No obvious bleeding since we cleaned the wound.

Pooping is normal.

We removed Daffy from the brooder the other ducks are in and isolated Daffy in a large Costco sized tote with clean towels in the bottom so no bedding can get in the wound. We gave Daffy its own food and water.

We saw some online advice to not cover the wound because it will dry out and heal faster but we are afraid stuff will get into the wound without it being covered. We have tramadol for pets at home that we can give Daffy if we figure out the dosage because since the shock wore off Daffy has stopped eating and drinking as much as normal.

The advice i am seeking is should we cover the wound and what should we do for pain? Has anyone had anything like this happen with their duck?

UPDATE: We have given Daffy a dose of Meloxicam because she stopped eating and drinking and cleaned Daffy's wound again, this time with sterile Saline and then put Silver Honey antimicrobial spray gel on it. This is supposed to do the same job as Vetericyn (which we also bought) but it is supposed to also repel insects. We live in a trailer and have her in there with us but some Flys keep getting in and even though we kill them as fast as we find them if we can repel them from Daffy's wound that sounded safer. We are also putting a 0-3 month t-shirt on her (picture attached) because we stopped bandaging the wound but Daffy kept trying to preen it. Hopefully this allows the wound the air it needs to heal while not allowing her to damage the wound further. When we cleaned it my husband said the wound flesh looked darker and the wound looked a little smaller. When we gave her her second dose of penicillin we took a new picture of the wound (attached) so we can monitor the healing. Thinking of putting her in with her sisters after cleaning their pen for a few minutes to see if the competition will get her to eat and drink. Thank you everyone for the advice so far.

Attachments

• Resized_20220514_222442.jpeg
    Resized_20220514_222442.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 20220515_024543.jpg
    20220515_024543.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220514_222050.jpg
    20220514_222050.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220515_210243.jpg
    20220515_210243.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220515_212407.jpg
    20220515_212407.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Do you have any Meloxicam? Or know someone who might? it would help her alot if her pain was less. I am going to agree with what @Eggcessive rec on treating. Vetricyn is found at TSC not sure if a pharmacy would have it.
Please keep us updated on how Daffy is doing.
Purchased Vetricyn and going to use it when we get home (driving there now). Also purchased some 0-3 month t-shirts with no decals to use to help keep the wound clean but open to air. And hopefully keep daffy from preening the area. Also got some neosporin without the added pain stuff so that we can use that. And sterile saline solution and gloves incase we need to flush any debris out. Giving penicillin and going to give meoxicam.

I have an indian runner duck about 8 weeks old weighs about 2 1/2lbs.

Last night we had our 3 Indian runners in their outdoor enclosure (we are putting them in it for a few hours at a time to get then used to it) and we got home an hour after dark to find Daffy had been attacked been a predator. Not sure what attacked them but there was digging around the cage and the holes are not very big. We think it was a grey fox.

Anyway, there is about 1/2 - 1/3 of Daffy's chest missing. (Pictures attached grafic warning) I don't think anything vital was hit because Daffy is still breathing, eating, and drinking. But Daffy was in shock and now that the shock is wearing off Daffy is just standing staring at us. We cleaned the would as soon as we found Daffy last night. We used hydrogen peroxide which we rinsed out with sterile water. We then out neosporin on the wound. We then bandaged it. We also injected penicillin which we will do for a few days.

There was bleeding when it happened but it quickly clotted and washed off easy. No obvious bleeding since we cleaned the wound.

Pooping is normal.

We removed Daffy from the brooder the other ducks are in and isolated Daffy in a large Costco sized tote with clean towels in the bottom so no bedding can get in the wound. We gave Daffy its own food and water.

We saw some online advice to not cover the wound because it will dry out and heal faster but we are afraid stuff will get into the wound without it being covered. We have tramadol for pets at home that we can give Daffy if we figure out the dosage because since the shock wore off Daffy has stopped eating and drinking as much as normal.

The advice i am seeking is should we cover the wound and what should we do for pain? Has anyone had anything like this happen with their duck?

UPDATE: We have given Daffy a dose of Meloxicam because she stopped eating and drinking and cleaned Daffy's wound again, this time with sterile Saline and then put Silver Honey antimicrobial spray gel on it. This is supposed to do the same job as Vetericyn (which we also bought) but it is supposed to also repel insects. We live in a trailer and have her in there with us but some Flys keep getting in and even though we kill them as fast as we find them if we can repel them from Daffy's wound that sounded safer. We are also putting a 0-3 month t-shirt on her (picture attached) because we stopped bandaging the wound but Daffy kept trying to preen it. Hopefully this allows the wound the air it needs to heal while not allowing her to damage the wound further. When we cleaned it my husband said the wound flesh looked darker and the wound looked a little smaller. When we gave her her second dose of penicillin we took a new picture of the wound (attached) so we can monitor the healing. Thinking of putting her in with her sisters after cleaning their pen for a few minutes to see if the competition will get her to eat and drink. Thank you everyone for the advice so far.
Update: Daffy is alive and well! She has grown back almost all of her feathers and although she sometimes has the effected wing slip down her side, she is able to keep it where she wants it most of the time so I don't think to much damage was done. She flaps and plays just like our other 2 ducks. Her chest will probably always have a divit in it but if her feathers keep coming in like they are, you would otherwise never know! Amazing how far she has come in 6 weeks!!

Attachments

• 16568193471235942593311554227632.jpg
    16568193471235942593311554227632.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 16568194418914229187352230919075.jpg
    16568194418914229187352230919075.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 7
We have meloxocam from a previous animal injury. I found dosing that was given by a vet for a duck almost the same weight on another forum post. Going to try that. Would hate to heal the wound but have Daffy die from pain/not eating and drinking
Some people use aspirin for chicken pain. It can be given 1/2 to 1 tablet low dose 81mg twice a day for up to 3 days. Meloxicam is by vet prescription only if one will prescribe it or see your duck. I have had some leftover from a dog surgery before.

How is Daffy today?
Daffy is eating a tiny bit which is better than nothing but is drinking almost a normal amount. She keeps trying to preen but the shirt I have on her keeps her from making contact with the wound. I have given her 2 doses of meloxocam (12 hours apart) and 2 doses of penicillin (24 hours apart). We have cleaned her wound twice and because I saw a fly trying to hang around her I put more of the Silver Honey Antimicrobial spray on her wound to try to keep them away. I keep cleaning her temporary home to keep it sanitary for her and to also keep flys from being attracted. This morning before I gave her her second dose of meloxicam she was just standing and shaking (showing pain and distress?) but about an hour after giving it to her she was back to drinking and preening. I am trying to decide if it would be ok to let her swim in a clean tub to clean herself as I know this is very important. But I will have to be constantly watching to keep her from preening her wound. Also, I wouldn't really be able to dry her due to her wound location so I wouldn't be able to put another shirt on her until she air dries. Tough decision to make. But it seems that she is doing good so far. I have to go back to work tomorrow which makes me worried to leave her alone for 12 hours but hopefully since it will have been a few days she will be ok.

Oh, also, my husband made a good point that Daffy was acting sad and regularly looking over in the direction of her sisters brooder. He said that humans who are sick heal better when they are not alone. And ducks are very social creatures too. So I gave the girls some visiting time. There was alot of talking and beak touching before they all settled down. But hopefully this safe distance get together will help Daffy feel better too.

Attachments

• 20220516_105107.jpg
    20220516_105107.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220516_105101.jpg
    20220516_105101.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220516_110428.jpg
    20220516_110428.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220516_110541.jpg
    20220516_110541.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
My, that is a pretty deep wound. I am not familiar with ducks, but hopefully, @Miss Lydia or @Isaac 0 will have a look. I would get some Chlorhexidene 2% at your pharmacy to spray the wound twice a day. Vetericyn may also be used instead. Then apply plain Neosporin ointment afterward. It is better not to cover the wound, but sometimes making a T Shirt over the area can help. A clean towel for bedding can help keep it clean. Separate so others will not peck at the wound.

Poor baby! 😢🦆 I agree with your course of action @Eggcessive . I would continue spraying with vetericyn and the penicillin. This may or may not be possible, but keeping him in a place not prone to bug/fly visitors will greatly reduce the chance of maggots. For ex. a mud room or sun room. Just watch him to make sure he doesn't reopen the scab, making it bleed again. You may have to hand feed him until he shows interest again. Same with drinking.
I hate to be a broken record here, but my chicken got almost the exact same wound towards the bottom of her chest as well, and even when we tried everything to heal her, she died out of pain. Even though some may not agree with me, I really should've thought of putting her down sooner to heal her suffering. And maybe if I had a local small animal vet around, I could have taken her to them. I am just saying that if he continues to show no interest in eating/drinking and the wound doesn't get better, maybe think of ending his pain. But on the bright side, his wound isn't too deep, so I have hope he will survive. Good luck, and sorry for the long answer :)
Thank you for your response. I had not even thought of fly maggot issues! We have Daffy in our home with us but this time of year some Flys get in. I'll get fly strips to put near her temporary home to try to keep any that get inside frome going to Daffy. Thank you!

I don't have anything to add that someone else hasn't said already. You're doing the right things but the pain will have to be controlled somehow or he won't want to eat or drink and he has to. Are there any vets in your area what will see ducks?
No. The closest vet is almost 3 hours away and has a 2-3 week wait list for an appointment.

Back
Top Bottom