Duck attacked by predator not sure how to bandage or medicate

Sometimes we just can't get a vet to see them. I have the same situation here and we are near Atlanta. You'd think that we would have a vet in this big city that would be willing to see a duck! Even the "exotic birds" vets won't see ducks so we just have to do what we can do. This OP sounds like she's doing everything possible to save this duck.

My, that is a pretty deep wound. I am not familiar with ducks, but hopefully, @Miss Lydia or @Isaac 0 will have a look. I would get some Chlorhexidene 2% at your pharmacy to spray the wound twice a day. Vetericyn may also be used instead. Then apply plain Neosporin ointment afterward. It is better not to cover the wound, but sometimes making a T Shirt over the area can help. A clean towel for bedding can help keep it clean. Separate so others will not peck at the wound.
Thank you for the response! I will go get a preemie t-shirt to put on instead of the bandaging and call my pharmacy to see if I can find chlorhexidine or vetericyn. Truly I appreciate any advice anyone can give. This is our first time having ducks and Google is more confusing than helpful

Poor baby! 😢🦆 I agree with your course of action @Eggcessive . I would continue spraying with vetericyn and the penicillin. This may or may not be possible, but keeping him in a place not prone to bug/fly visitors will greatly reduce the chance of maggots. For ex. a mud room or sun room. Just watch him to make sure he doesn't reopen the scab, making it bleed again. You may have to hand feed him until he shows interest again. Same with drinking.
I hate to be a broken record here, but my chicken got almost the exact same wound towards the bottom of her chest as well, and even when we tried everything to heal her, she died out of pain. Even though some may not agree with me, I really should've thought of putting her down sooner to heal her suffering. And maybe if I had a local small animal vet around, I could have taken her to them. I am just saying that if he continues to show no interest in eating/drinking and the wound doesn't get better, maybe think of ending his pain. But on the bright side, his wound isn't too deep, so I have hope he will survive. Good luck, and sorry for the long answer :)

Some people use aspirin for chicken pain. It can be given 1/2 to 1 tablet low dose 81mg twice a day for up to 3 days. Meloxicam is by vet prescription only if one will prescribe it or see your duck. I have had some leftover from a dog surgery before.

Saline or salt water should be mixed 2 tsp (9 grams) of table salt to each liter or quart of water. That makes it isotonic, the same pH as the body, and it won’t damage tissue. At that same ratio, 1/2 tsp of salt to each cup (240ml of water) is equivalent. It can be squirted on the wound with a turkey baster or sprayed. Vetericyn is a similar mild solution for promoting healing.

It is good to use for wound care, but in the beginning, Chlorhexidene 2% is probably best to disinfect the wound. Avoid peroxide, but one use it okay, since it can damage tissue. Betadine again can be used once, but once the wound is not infected, something milder should be used for continuous wound care.

Ducks are amazing at healing if given the chance. Sounds like Daffy is making progress. The main thing now is infection. Keeping the wound clean and treating it the proper way. I really like Vetericyn because we don't have to touch the wound once cleaned and disinfected You might want to clip or pluck the feathers closest to the wound so feathers don't get stuck inside when it begins to close up.

Have you ever used Manuka Honey @Eggcessive? I have used it on bumble before wrapping but haven't ever had a serious wound to treat. [Thank God]

Back
Top Bottom