Duck attacked by turkeys i can see bone help!!!!

HannahC1198

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
My year old rouen"Charlie" was attacked by 2 turkeys last night and I can see bone. They mostly attacked her head and I can see a good 1/2 inch of skull. The wounds starts just before her eyes and extends to just past the base of her skull. I cleaned it up and wrapped it loosely but it's not looking good. She was attacked earlier this year by a turtle and recovered but was never back up to 100 percent. I hatched her from an egg and she is definitely a pet not just a farm animal. There are no avian vets near me and the vet we usually go to doesn't deal with birds. I don't know what to do. And I don't have it in me to put her down. What do I do?

We had a Magpie that was attacked by a predator - probably racoon - left her with a huge gash starting at the back of her skull and continuing down the back of her neck. It was pretty deep and she was definitely in shock but we cleaned her up, used neosporin and wrapped her as best we could with vet wrap. Then we isolated her in a cage where she could see the other ducks but they couldn't get to her. She wasn't feeling very social anyway and needed the quiet time for healing. She wouldn't eat her regular food, but liked being hand fed peas and meal worms. We changed the bandage every other day and in about a week, she was able to return to the flock. As I remember I trimmed the feathers away from the wound too,

You obviously care for your duck a lot - hope she makes it through this.

Yeah, I would certainly bandage her and seperate her. Other wise they might do even more damage. I know that feeling of not wanting to put her down. I'm in the same situation with a pekin duckling I hatched from egg. :( good luck and I hope she pulls through! Some tea tree oil might help it heal and keep away the bugs too!

thank you so much for your advice!! Fingers crossed.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom