Duck behaviour

chris398398

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2019
Hello, I am looking for some advice. I've got 6 ducks, mandarins and ringed teal ducks. One of my female mandarin ducks has started acting very weird. Over the last 2 weeks or so she has been completely avoiding going in the pool. Normally you would see her in and out of it all day and joining in all the splashing with the other ducks. I can get her in the pool with a bit of persuasion but she gets straight out. She also has been separating herself from the other ducks generally, although she will join them every now and then. She definitely isn't being bullied as if anything she was the one bullying the smaller teal ducks, although nothing bad just the odd peck.

She has now started doing this very weird thing where when she is standing on the floor she will start acting as if she is on the water. You can see from the video what I mean. This is the motion all the other ducks would normally do on the water to push water on their back and generally have a wash. I can't understand why she is doing it and why she is completely avoiding the water/pool. No other issues, eating, drinking and visually all ok.

Attachments

• 19832338_Rec7256_20191213195012_A_1.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
That’s strange behavior but I am not familiar with these breeds. Are your ducks breeding now? I wonder if she’s avoiding the pool because maybe over breeding? How many drakes to females do you have ? Are you feeding a well balanced diet? Ever given supplements.

No I haven't noticed any breeding behaviour, although she has been showing a lot of interest in the nest box by going in.
In terms of drakes and females, 3 of each. But again I don't think it's down to over breeding as I would have noticed that.
I've been feeding a mix specially for ornamental waterfowl which has a lot of added vits and minerals, I haven't seen any other strange behaviour in any of my other ducks.

She is at least at her waterer trying to do the cleaning. Is it very cold where you are? Could she be avoiding the pool because of the temperature? Until she is comfortable getting back in the pool to keep herself clean, I would switch the watererer out to a bucket or some other container that she could dip her whole head in to clean her nares out.
Would love to see some color pics of your birds! Your profile pic is awesome!

I am baffled by that behavior and I have seen something similar with my Muscovy female it’s been a while though but I believe it was when they were broody and were washing in the water bucket splashing water on themselves.

Yes I started to think it may be broody behaviour as it all started when she started getting interested in going in the nest box. So put 2 & 2 together. Just hoping this is the case and hoping someone has had something similar

She is at least at her waterer trying to do the cleaning. Is it very cold where you are? Could she be avoiding the pool because of the temperature? Until she is comfortable getting back in the pool to keep herself clean, I would switch the watererer out to a bucket or some other container that she could dip her whole head in to clean her nares out.
Would love to see some color pics of your birds! Your profile pic is awesome!

Yes the temperature has dropped recently, but doesn't seem to be affecting any of my other ducks. She does venture to the pool and dips her head in that. But again she just doesn't want to get in. Almost like she has developed a fear of water!

Attachments

• IMG-20190817-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20190817-WA0004.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom