Duck beheader turner egg thief

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Safronsue, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Safronsue

Safronsue Hatching

Apr 22, 2019
    It began when a runner duck was noted missing...then I found her head. Nothing else. The nest containing the eggs, all intact, that she had been brooding, was nearby.

Couple weeks later and we realize 4 eggs have disappeared from a well hidden nest in the oregano patch. Then 2 from another nest.

What predator can carry off a duck carcass and jump with it over a high boundary? Our property is pretty securely walled and fenced though trees overhang. Is this decapitation a hall mark of a particular critter?

Am planning to set a trap of some kind but need to know what I’m dealing with.

Trimurtisan likes this.
  2. Doobly

Doobly Songster

Nov 20, 2012
    Hampshire, England
    Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry for your loss. No advice here but hopefully this will bump your post to someone who might have an idea. A security camera that records motion might be handy in the meantime to identify what's happening?

3. Safronsue

Safronsue Hatching

Apr 22, 2019
    Thanks.nice idea but sounds expensive

4. Doobly

Doobly Songster

Nov 20, 2012
    Hampshire, England
    I think you can pick simplish ones out online for about £30. You don't need to be able to make out a human face, just an animal shape so something cheap would do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: