Duck being aggressive towards ducklings

0iseau

Chirping
Apr 7, 2021
One of my ducks, Sinclair, attempted to hatch some ducklings. After a long 28 days, 2 ducklings successfully hatched in my care. The eggs had to be taken away since she started attacking them as the ducklings were trying to hatch (yes, attack, not "help" - she almost crushed one)

Despite trying to introduce the ducklings to her, she did NOT take them. She has not been the issue though - she's started to become more accepting of the two and she will sleep next to them (ducklings are in a pen next to my ducks pen with mesh in the way so that no beaks can get through)

One of my other ducks, Yoda, has been super aggressive towards the two and has gotten worse over time. She keeps attacking Charlene - tonight when we had the ducklings roaming in the area Yoda reached through part of the fence that was uncovered and grabbed Charlene by the neck.

Charlene is okay - made sure of that - and we are being extra vigilant since Yoda has gone from simple chasing the ducklings away to full on attempting to attack them.
Is this because she is "jealous" of them since they are not hers? If not, what is it?
Yoda is typically a very chill duck so her acting like this is so out of character. Even worse is that I just got some more ducklings in to help fix our ratio - if she's acting this way to these two I can't imagine how she'll act towards the little ones.

Sounds like you're on the right track by separating them. The Drake is still in mating mode, and doesn't care about the babies. Give them some time apart and things will get better, would be my educated guess. I can only go by what I've researched.

I keep my ducklings separated till at least 8 weeks
I keep them where the bigger ones can see them but not touch them at all. That way they will be use to each other by the time I can try small outings together
Some ducks accept newbies right away others try to attack
I also had a duck go broody and didn’t help her babies in hatch and 2 died the 3rd was wrong end and I took it as if needed full assist. Tried to give it back to her after dry and she tried to attack it
Now they are best buddies but it took awhile for my two older ducks to accept the babies ( I had hatched 4 of her eggs 2 weeks before her egg as she went broody after I started to incubate
Don’t rush things in time they will
All be a happy flock

Sounds like you're on the right track by separating them. The Drake is still in mating mode, and doesn't care about the babies. Give them some time apart and things will get better, would be my educated guess. I can only go by what I've researched.
Apologies for not clarifying! My drakes are actually very friendly with the ducklings. It's my female, Yoda, who is aggressive.
In fact, my one drake, Goose, will waddle on up to the babies and forage with them. Rain will chase them occasionally but stops after a few seconds and Luna just couldn't care less.

Back
Top Bottom