Duck being picked on—pulling feathers

"Severe feather pecking has been reported in birds that were fed a too low mineral level in the diet, a too low protein level or a too low amino acid level (methionine, arginine).
There appears to be somewhat more more feather pecking with diets containing only vegetable proteins compared to those fed some protein of animal origin.
Feather pecking is also more associated with diets that were restricted, coarsely ground or fed as pellets."

Dr Marinus van Krimpen of Wageningen University

"Severe feather pecking has been reported in birds that were fed a too low mineral level in the diet, a too low protein level or a too low amino acid level (methionine, arginine).
There appears to be somewhat more more feather pecking with diets containing only vegetable proteins compared to those fed some protein of animal origin.
Feather pecking is also more associated with diets that were restricted, coarsely ground or fed as pellets."

Dr Marinus van Krimpen of Wageningen University
And your point is...Balance in nutrition is key...:frow
I agree..:woot

Hmm..Not for the same reasons amongst the two different species. Ducks nutrition is different from a Chicken.
I have never run into issues with anything feeding my Birds as separate species. My Ducks are fantastic even here in - 30C without being out of Runs.
Of course they have different requirements, I'm not saying they don't, I am saying that the cause of feather picking is the same for all species of birds.

It's interesting, I was just reading up about that, and it seems that this is the case because in addition to low protein being a problem, a lack of methionine can be a problem that causes feather eating, as your source also says. And foods rich in methionine are animal products - beef, lamb, cheese, fish, etc. So it makes sense that there would be more feather eating when a feed only contains vegetable proteins, because it is probably lacking in methionine.

If methionine is the problem, there should be plenty in the cat food that is being offered to them now :)

Back
Top Bottom