duck belly pouch- normal?

BaileyP

Chirping
Apr 14, 2021
A few days ago we noticed our Buff started to develop a little bit of a pouch in her belly, and after inspection, we seemed to notice it in our pekin and runner as well. All are female but aren't currently laying, which I assume is from the season change and recent molt. I've given them all a good feel and think I've ruled out a stuck egg. Their abdomens all feel similar, squishy like a belly should feel. I of course fear ascites but it seems unlikely that three of them would suddenly start showing symptoms of something that extreme at the same time.

The only condition of theirs that has changed is our drake has recently reached sexual maturity and has begun to mate them. Is there a chance this pouch could be related to that? Reminder that none of them are currently laying eggs. I should also note that all of them are behaving/eating/pooping completely normally.

I've attached a picture of my girl June below- her pouch seems to be the most prominent of the three ducks. It's not massive but it has definitely grown compared to videos I have of her from a couple weeks ago. I'm likely being sensitive and planning a vet visit tomorrow regardless, but we've had a rough duck year and any peace of mind that this looks normal would help me sleep tonight!

IMG_4130.jpg
IMG_4131.jpg

Let me know what you find out. My duclair developed a pouch just like that after she molted this fall - she's just over a year old. Looks like she has an egg down there, but it's just soft. She seems perfectly fine in all respects and has had her little pouch a couple of months.

BTW, June is super cute and I like her name.
Thank you! She's such a sweet duck. It sounds like our symptoms are the same which makes me optimistic that this is just a normal thing that develops as part of their reproductive system at this age. (June is approaching one year old)

Keep an eye on the thread and I'll post an update with the news from my vet!

Duckies get pouches when they are getting ready to lay. Those areiterally are abnormal as called "egg pouches." Abnormal abdomens are HUGE. I have a duckie who had internal laying, and her rear end looked like a water balloon. I see nothing to worry about, but it's always good to ask about anything that seems different or off.

She's ADORABLE!!!

Update: I called the vet this morning and explained what's going on and we made an appointment for Thursday. She thinks it sounds like a fluid build-up that ducks sometimes get in their reproductive system so she wants to check it out and potentially drain it and prescribe some antibiotics. She said as long as they're behaving normally otherwise then it isn't an emergency so I'll keep everyone posted with an update on Thursday!

Back
Top Bottom