DUCK BILL MISSING

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very sad, I applaud you and how much you are trying to do for this sweet duck.
Can you call animal control anonymously? Obviously these birds aren't in a good situation, animal control might be able to do something.
In the photo's it does look like her crop is somewhat full though, does anyone else see that? Maybe full enough to keep her going. That being said, its not a dire emergency. Something needs to be done about this situation, but she's figuring it out for now.
She'll last long enough for animal control to step in.
if you could see her with the others, you would see she is considerably smaller, she is losing weight and her feathering is poor. But I would expect that as she cannot adequately groom and spread her oil anymore. I look for disease to set it soon.

everyone has a price. find out what hers is and i’m in for at least $100
x2! Same question!! Can animal control do anything? I feel bad for the poor ducky
As a state park manager she wil squelch animal control and they don't really care anyway, they are already overwhelmed with unwanted dogs and cats. So sad.

Not a bad idea, at least figure out how much money it will cost to allow you to take this duck. Then decide if its rational or not. Likely a high price, and to much money, but it can't hurt to ask.
I sent her an email saying the offer is now up to $200, I expect it will just make her mad. She is very arogant and believes her 20% injury rate state park is some sort of sanctuary. A place where the fowl she brings in can become injured and live there.

If the duck has been there for years, as the woman claims, someone is feeding it out of a container. I know of ducks and a goose in a city park that lived for many years, with bills like that, because they were fed daily out of a container. Ducks with bad legs can also do okay in parks where they are in the water most of the time. The fact she wouldn't even take $100 for the duck must mean it does mean a lot to her and her daughter. It's obviously not all about selfishness. Have you ever taken care of ducks in a park every day, including crippled ones? If not, you might want to get off your high horse.

This is not to discourage your mission to rescue ducks, but just a warning that ducks with injuries, both domestic and wild, can often end up euthanized, regardless if someone is offering to give them a home or not. Wild ones that cannot be fully rehabilitated in so many days will definitely be destroyed. Also, someone might decide no domestic ducks should be in any state park and have them all killed. No ducks should be running around with hooks in their mouths, however. Someone needs to catch those and get the hooks out.

So, you can risk going above her head or not. Just don't expect the results you want will be the results you get. There's also the local newspaper, if you still have one, but once again, the press attention may not have the results you want. Ducks can survive in all sorts or locations, some far from perfect. Even in perfect type homes, though, they can be killed one way or another long before they reach old age, as many can testify here.
While I appreciate your insulting insinuation that I am galloping through state parks on my HIGH HORSE, I assure you I am not. Even though I appreciate your vast experience taking care of ducks in another state park, it is not the same. Every person, every park and every situation including every duck is NOT the same.
I have vet assistant experience, I have been a rehabber as well. I am also an aviculturist of a degree. I do not have my masters degree in ducks and I do not claim to. However, the fact that this duck has been there for almost 2 years is noteworthy. During those two years there was 15-20 ducks and no geese. Now another 20 ducks have been introduced along with a half dozen large muscular geese. This raises the risks for the duck which is handicapped.
It has lost weight and is in poor feather. It is also lethargic and while it does stay near the flock, it does not mingle or socialize as other ducks do.
If she put it on a gram scale she would find it is losing weight. The other ducks are plump and round a active and chase one another and flap wildly when someone tosses food on the ground. This duck runs away from the flock so as not to get beaten up by the muscular wings of these geese. It is weaker, and it knows it is weaker.
Injured ducks are caught and she has a friend who is a vet from her church who gives care. However, it is treat and release. It is not catch, confine, treat, cure, reintroduce. This vet does not have an endoscope to remove hooks from the throat. The line is just cut and the hook left in the throat. If the cannot remove the hook, it appears they remove the beak. I have no idea on that. I was told this one lost its beak due to a hook.
The odds have changed for the duck in any case. I do expect it to die over the winter. I guess I will watch it die from my perch on my high horse. If it lives, I will put my high horse up for sale. But not until this duck is safe.

Last edited:
The park mentioned is a state park. State parks are generally focused on the natural environment. I'm not sure how a duck sanctuary fits in with naturalization. Maybe contact the Kentucky Dept of Parks? Unless for some reason there is an area there that is managed as a "duck sanctuary" and it is ok to do so within the state regulations and park system?
I am considering that, however as soon as I do, I will be pegged and she will ban me from the park in retaliation. Right now we are on shaky ground already as I have insulted her sanctuary management skills.

Is there a duck rescue in your state? I'd find an organization that can help you. This duck's bill is repairable and at the very least it should be examined by an avian vet. If properly approached, this situation could be an opportunity to get publicity for the park this duck lives in. See if a TV station would investigate and possible get more people involved in providing funds to get this duck's bill repaired. This is a learning opportunity for the daughter to see how people can come together to help an animal in need. I've been in situations like this and learned to ask, "How can I help you help your dog, cat, bird, chicken, duck, falcon?"

It's natural for a person to get defensive in this situation. You want to help the duck. She wants to keep the duck. Try to find common ground and work from there. If you push too hard she'll the cops involved and have a restraining order put on you. In the meantime give the duck the extra care it needs. And remember you are most likely dealing with a person who has a hoarding disorder and will need special handling. Tread carefully and good luck!

Is there a duck rescue in your state? I'd find an organization that can help you. This duck's bill is repairable and at the very least it should be examined by an avian vet. If properly approached, this situation could be an opportunity to get publicity for the park this duck lives in. See if a TV station would investigate and possible get more people involved in providing funds to get this duck's bill repaired. This is a learning opportunity for the daughter to see how people can come together to help an animal in need. I've been in situations like this and learned to ask, "How can I help you help your dog, cat, bird, chicken, duck, falcon?"

It's natural for a person to get defensive in this situation. You want to help the duck. She wants to keep the duck. Try to find common ground and work from there. If you push too hard she'll the cops involved and have a restraining order put on you. In the meantime give the duck the extra care it needs. And remember you are most likely dealing with a person who has a hoarding disorder and will need special handling. Tread carefully and good luck!
:goodpost::goodpost:
This is a fantastic idea. Exactly the approach you need to take. Very good post @theoldchick

And since you've taken a different approach in the past, try to start a new conversation with, "I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot" Just to find common ground, something like "I shouldn't have challenged your poultry raising skills, but I would love to help". That might give her a new sense of confidence, and help you gain her trust.

This is very sad, I applaud you and how much you are trying to do for this sweet duck.
Can you call animal control anonymously? Obviously these birds aren't in a good situation, animal control might be able to do something.
In the photo's it does look like her crop is somewhat full though, does anyone else see that? Maybe full enough to keep her going. That being said, its not a dire emergency. Something needs to be done about this situation, but she's figuring it out for now.
She'll last long enough for animal control to step in.

:goodpost::goodpost:
This is a fantastic idea. Exactly the approach you need to take. Very good post @theoldchick

And since you've taken a different approach in the past, try to start a new conversation with, "I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot" Just to find common ground, something like "I shouldn't have challenged your poultry raising skills, but I would love to help". That might give her a new sense of confidence, and help you gain her trust.
problem is solved

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom