Duck bloated! Won’t walk- Need help

I’ve contacted 4 vet offices. 1 said they don’t do ducks and I’m awaiting response from the other 3. Her belly seems bigger and I still have to try and get that infection out of her foot.
C7B00BF4-F6B3-4F60-ADD7-9B5640108584.jpeg
4AF31055-9F2B-4AEC-B7E2-CC0D84021D2B.jpeg

Give her the Calcium Gluconate if its egg bound it should help. Water belly or Ascites is very soft and squishy belly fills like liquid in there I have an old EE hen who has it. The Cal Glu will not hurt her.
Bless her heart she has to be uncomfortable.

There is a scab on the bottom of her foot right? have you felt it? meaning usually you can take your fingernail after some soakings and try and lift the scab up. If it comes up pretty easily then take it off and post pics of what you see after you get the scab off.

Last edited:
Give her the Calcium Gluconate if its egg bound it should help. Water belly or Ascites is very soft and squishy belly fills like liquid in there I have an old EE hen who has it. The Cal Glu will not hurt her.
Bless her heart she has to be uncomfortable.

There is a scab on the bottom of her foot right? have you felt it? meaning usually you can take your fingernail after some soakings and try and lift the scab up. If it comes up pretty easily then take it off and post pics of what you see after you get the scab off.
I just found another one with a huge bumble on her foot. So the process is to soak in Epsom salt, peel scab, then squeeze out infection

Yes but remember it may take several soaks before you can peel off the scab. Once you get the scab off squeezing might not work since duck pus is thick you should have a pair of sterile tweezers ready because you may have to pick it out. Once you get the scab off let us know what you see. With my chickens, I can usually pick the bumble out ,with my duck I had to cut with a scaple since there wasn't a scab.

Yes but remember it may take several soaks before you can peel off the scab. Once you get the scab off squeezing might not work since duck pus is thick you should have a pair of sterile tweezers ready because you may have to pick it out. Once you get the scab off let us know what you see. With my chickens, I can usually pick the bumble out ,with my duck I had to cut with a scaple since there wasn't a scab.
I’m wondering if the new feed I got has anything to do with her belly being so bloated. I just started getting a new feed, although I was doing half and half with what they are used to. And also the bag got slightly went in the rain. But I don’t believe there was any mold.
Also I was listening to her belly and on the left side every now and then I could hear a song like a rushing of water going down. This is also the same side where she has a lump

I’m wondering if the new feed I got has anything to do with her belly being so bloated. I just started getting a new feed, although I was doing half and half with what they are used to. And also the bag got slightly went in the rain. But I don’t believe there was any mold.
Also I was listening to her belly and on the left side every now and then I could hear a song like a rushing of water going down. This is also the same side where she has a lump
Hmm, weird.

If she was eating moldy feed she would be sick or dead. But if the bag got wet I'd sure pour it out of the bag into something large enough I could really check it out.
Did you give her any Cal Glu?

If she was eating moldy feed she would be sick or dead. But if the bag got wet I'd sure pour it out of the bag into something large enough I could really check it out.
Did you give her any Cal Glu?
She has some calcium gluconate in her system now. How often do I give her it, or is it just a one time thing? How long before I will see improvement. Someone else said they could actually feel the egg. It’s not near her vent though, its higher than that. We performed the surgery on her foot and she is all bandaged up now. Once the surgery is done will her foot get better or do we need to continue to spray it?

Back
Top Bottom