Duck bowed legs

HappyDuckies

Chirping
Aug 18, 2015
Hi,

so my friend got 2 ducks about 2 or 3 weeks ago. She said one of the ducks legs have been bowed like this since she got them, and I was wondering if y’all had any suggestions. I wanted to do something before it’s too late since he’s still growing. When I touch the feet his legs kind of flop. They also kind of shake like there’s no muscle. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with anything like this and if y’all had any suggestions. Thanks!
5423478C-A958-4526-95EA-76AD95B41D97.jpeg
A42D67EB-17A9-4C34-A2E1-43250E9DB4F6.jpeg
3FECA817-9E5F-4A2F-BDCA-4449FEC42768.jpeg

Looks like she has a Niacin deficiency, common signs would be, bowed legs, pigeon feet, swollen hocks , weak legs and retarded growth. Can you pick up some Cattle B injectable? That's what she needs, dosage would be 1/2ml a day until symptoms improve. It can be given over treats or administer orally with the use of a eyedropper or syringe, If her appetite isn't the best and you go the oral way, just make sure not to aspirate her when giving fluids. You may want to read this thread first-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
This is the stuff you want for her-

1585933117947.png

1585933259123.png

I agree with Master of Clucker that it looks like a possible niacin (vitamin B 3) deficiency. I would also recommend feeding humna bitamin B complex tablets (not B12) or the liquid form found in feed stores daily in the feed. I have no duck experience, but many other BYCers have posted about this. The link in post 4 with pictures is very good.
1585936905597.jpeg

May I ask what you tried? I have two ducklings they grow so quickly. One of my ducks legs look just like that I’ve done the vitamin b liquid, I can’t give it to the duck himself I’m afraid I’ll make him aspirate so I’ve put it in food and water but it doesn’t seem to help too much. The duck is pretty big and is having trouble getting around like the other one. I will be devastated if the duck dies. This duck has been my favorite since I’ve gotten her/him. 😞

May I ask what you tried? I have two ducklings they grow so quickly. One of my ducks legs look just like that I’ve done the vitamin b liquid, I can’t give it to the duck himself I’m afraid I’ll make him aspirate so I’ve put it in food and water but it doesn’t seem to help too much. The duck is pretty big and is having trouble getting around like the other one. I will be devastated if the duck dies. This duck has been my favorite since I’ve gotten her/him. 😞

Hi there, what brand, and at what dosage? Could you post a video or picture of your duckling? How old?

You may find this helpful,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Back
Top Bottom