Duck breathing weirdly

peanutclover

Chirping
Apr 28, 2023
Hi everyone! I’m a first time duck mom and I have two Pekins around 3-4 weeks old I believe. For the last few days, they will have their mouths slightly open to breathe or sometimes when their mouth is closed I can hear the breathing sounding like a stuffy nose. However, I can’t visibly see any debris in the nostrils. They have constant access to fresh water that is deep enough for them to put their heads in, they are not over heated, and they only do this occasionally. They never do it when the are being held or playing or swimming outside. Mostly just in the brooder. They don’t have a heat lamp anymore because they did not care for it anymore and have most feathers. They also stay in the house where the temp is perfect. There is no other symptoms such as leakage from anywhere and they have always remained happy and playful with plenty of appetite and energy. Is this something I am looking too deep into? What can I do? I have also tried warm wash cloth on nose and that hasn’t helped.

Hi everyone! I’m a first time duck mom and I have two Pekins around 3-4 weeks old I believe. For the last few days, they will have their mouths slightly open to breathe or sometimes when their mouth is closed I can hear the breathing sounding like a stuffy nose. However, I can’t visibly see any debris in the nostrils. They have constant access to fresh water that is deep enough for them to put their heads in, they are not over heated, and they only do this occasionally. They never do it when the are being held or playing or swimming outside. Mostly just in the brooder. They don’t have a heat lamp anymore because they did not care for it anymore and have most feathers. They also stay in the house where the temp is perfect. There is no other symptoms such as leakage from anywhere and they have always remained happy and playful with plenty of appetite and energy. Is this something I am looking too deep into? What can I do? I have also tried warm wash cloth on nose and that hasn’t helped.
were you able to get your concern resolved? I’m not experienced enough to give you a more abvanced answer. Seems like you’re attending to his/her basic needs. My first thought was maybe he’s too hot but doesn’t seem to be the case.
@Miss Lydia may be able to offer advice.

were you able to get your concern resolved? I’m not experienced enough to give you a more abvanced answer. Seems like you’re attending to his/her basic needs. My first thought was maybe he’s too hot but doesn’t seem to be the case.
@Miss Lydia may be able to offer advice.
I just ordered some Vet Rx as people swear by it, I’ve changed around their brood to ensure better ventilation, and now my last culprit is the pine shavings. It hasn’t been resolved yet but I’m going to see if any of this helps.

I just ordered some Vet Rx as people swear by it, I’ve changed around their brood to ensure better ventilation, and now my last culprit is the pine shavings. It hasn’t been resolved yet but I’m going to see if any of this helps.
Ok hopefully you will get more suggestions. Maybe he has a cold? Like a stuffy head/nose? Hope your meds work.

Pekins seem to have open-mouth breathing more so than other breeds. Like panting. which usually means they are hot. Doesn't sound like the case here though unless your home is exceptionally warm.
As long as they are eating drinking, pooping normally, and have no discharge it's probably nothing to worry about.
When you get the vet RX be sure to do a dry swipe across the nares not wet you don't want the liquid to go into the nares. I haven't had to use it much but when I did I took a q tip put the Vet RX on it and rubbed it around the outside of the nares just like you'd do vicks vapo rub.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom