Duck Breed Focus - Buff Orpington

Thanks, @Tevyes Dad -

The colors on the Buff girls changes. When Hazel arrived, she was nearly platinum. She molted, and came in standard Buff colors (shades of buff). Next time she molted, she came in pinto - some snow, some buff, but more like a tortoise coloring pattern. Carmella arrived standard Buff colors. The next couple of molts, no color changes. This most recent one just finished, her feathers are shades of nearly platinum, perhaps one could call it oyster shell.

La Rome (Romy) was lighter at first, and now, just finishing a molt, her feathers have come in standard Buff.
How exciting! Latte (if the name sticks) will be so much fun!

Oh, they all - our Buffs - have great personalities! The Coffee Trio were raised without much human contact, so they're shy, but they are cooperative and sweet.

Romy, now, she and Michele were apparently more involved with people. Romy is the duck who pantomimed to me that she wanted me to put a bowl of water in a very specific place, who knows when it's time for us to meet outside the night pen so she can have special treats without interference from the rest of the flock.

Oh, they all - our Buffs - have great personalities! The Coffee Trio were raised without much human contact, so they're shy, but they are cooperative and sweet.

Romy, now, she and Michele were apparently more involved with people. Romy is the duck who pantomimed to me that she wanted me to put a bowl of water in a very specific place, who knows when it's time for us to meet outside the night pen so she can have special treats without interference from the rest of the flock.
Clever little ducky! Give you a little more lovin' and get some extra treats
big_smile.png

I have seen Donald and Daffy interact with the females and they seem to be civil so far. As far as interacting with the chickens, they pretty well keep to their clicks and all get along pretty well when it's feeding time as well. so far so good. I'll be glad when the ducks start laying eggs also.

I used to have some Buff Orpington ducks, they were a lot more friendly than any other breed I've owned. I just ordered some new Buff Orpingtons from Metzer's hatchery. There is some good information about the breed in Dave Holderread's book on ducks. In the book it is mentioned that though the first Orpingtons were Buff colored, there were other color varieties including Chocolate and Black. I wonder if anyone is trying to recreate those other colors? I think that would be a great project.

I used to have some Buff Orpington ducks, they were a lot more friendly than any other breed I've owned. I just ordered some new Buff Orpingtons from Metzer's hatchery. There is some good information about the breed in Dave Holderread's book on ducks. In the book it is mentioned that though the first Orpingtons were Buff colored, there were other color varieties including Chocolate and Black. I wonder if anyone is trying to recreate those other colors? I think that would be a great project.

I have a BEAUTIFUL chocolate crested buff, this is her! She is named Harmony

She is currently only 2 weeks old she is 100 percent buff.

Wow, have I been gone a while. I have four Buff Orppington ducks, One Drake(Daffy) and three female ducks( Daphne, Delilah, and Daisy) that are actively working to procreate. Up until the last big storm that came through, Daphne was sitting on 30 eggs in a water barrel adapted to be a place for all of them to hide in during nasty weather. She had used the pine shavings and some of her own down feathers to create a mound nest, that she would rotate from the front to the back, daily. there were even three chicken eggs she was sitting on. Unfortunately, the storm, blew the smaller coupe and Daphne, in the barrel on the nest across to the other side of the pen against the fence. The nest and eggs were destroyed, Daphne is doing good other than all the attention Daffy has been showing her. Once Daphne went broody, Daisy and Delilah had to lay their eggs elsewhere. I would find them in the flowerbed or the smaller coupe. I put three of them under a broody R I R,(Reba) in the henhouse before Daphne decided to go broody. She hatched them successfully and they followed her around the last three weeks. Yesterday, I found one of the ducklings drowned in the duck pond, and another struggling to get out. I got it out and Reba took both that were left far across the pen. I duckling proofed the pond, with easier access in and out. The ducklings Know Reba as Mamma, but do the same things the Ducks do now. Just this past week I noticed that Reba was not staying outside the coupe with the ducklings at night anymore, so they are huddling under the hutch they used to be in with Reba separated from the flock, when they were really small. Aside from Reba, the ducklings, and adult ducks, I have two more R I R's, (Rusty, and Hershey), Three Golden Comets, (Lacey, Lucy, and Lena), Three Barred Rock females, ( Stinkers, Stacy, and Stella). Stella is a teenager brought into the flock with a rooster (Stanley) also a teenager, and another couple of Cochins ( Chuck) my rooster and ( Charlie ),my pullet.
And I didn't stop there. I also have six little straight run Bantams, brooding in the garage, They are also three weeks old, four of them are Cochins, that so far all appear to be roos, and two others, one I am hoping is a pullet.Still not sure of their breed either.

I have been breeding my blue splash orpington male with my buff females, i am getting quite interesting colored offspring.

I got our girl by mistake, I thought she was a Pekin and I have to admit I was a little disappointed when she started going brown. Now I love her, lots of character...and mischief, boy she can be demanding lol. Great mum though, this is her first batch of ducklings, born on 15 Oct 2016

Back
Top Bottom