Duck Breed Focus - Cayuga

I soooo much want to believe that my larger, greener, quacking duck is actually a female. But, here is an update: I have been getting 1 egg a day on most days for 3 weeks...only one, never two, and I can never catch either of my two ducks laying an egg. The suspected male has ceased mating behavior but then again it is late fall so that in and of itself isn't super helpful. As a recap, the suspected male doesn't quack as often as the smaller, more feminine duck but when "he" does it has a slightly different lower, raspy tone, and often has a "laughing" quality to the quack but is every bit as LOUD if not louder! I just cracked an egg and this is what I see. It doesn't look like the occasional oviduct remnants of a female chicken....is this the telltale sign of fertilization???

Attachments

• 20181121_213325 (1).jpg
    20181121_213325 (1).jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 6
I soooo much want to believe that my larger, greener, quacking duck is actually a female. But, here is an update: I have been getting 1 egg a day on most days for 3 weeks...only one, never two, and I can never catch either of my two ducks laying an egg. The suspected male has ceased mating behavior but then again it is late fall so that in and of itself isn't super helpful. As a recap, the suspected male doesn't quack as often as the smaller, more feminine duck but when "he" does it has a slightly different lower, raspy tone, and often has a "laughing" quality to the quack but is every bit as LOUD if not louder! I just cracked an egg and this is what I see. It doesn't look like the occasional oviduct remnants of a female chicken....is this the telltale sign of fertilization???
Do you have pictures of said duck?

Oh, and no drake feather at 7 1/2 months. Cayuga Jane weighed in with the previous youtube vid and thinks they are both females...so I am just anxiously awaiting the other duck to start laying for confirmation :)

Back
Top Bottom