Duck Breed Focus - Indian Runner

So, I am now getting two duck eggs every morning. I only have two runner ducks so that means they are for sure both girls, right? Then why are they trying to mate with each other?? It's making me crazy. Is this normal if they don't have a drake??
It's normal even if there is a drake. lol those girls are just nutty once hormones begin to kick in and sometimes one wants to be top female to so dominance can also play into it.

My Indian Runner is just starting to molt. Her apatite has increased, She is the first to let me know she is hungry.
She seems to eat mushy feed better then pellets. When i clean out the drinking water pail, there is so much feed ?
Is that normal ? Looks like allot of wasted food.

My Indian Runner is just starting to molt. Her apatite has increased, She is the first to let me know she is hungry.
She seems to eat mushy feed better then pellets. When i clean out the drinking water pail, there is so much feed ?
My Indian Runners are molting too. My ducks get a lot of feed in their water too. My drake has been breeding my hen so I'm thinking that my hen will start laying in a couple weeks if she does the same pattern that she's done for 2 years.

Quote: My one and only Indian Runner has been a good egg layer since I got her two months ago. Now that she is molting, Is she going to quit laying eggs.? Is she going to want to set on eggs? With 6 ducks, In the morning when I collect eggs, there is always 5 eggs in one nest. Is that a sign that a duck wants to set.?

It's normal even if there is a drake. lol those girls are just nutty once hormones begin to kick in and sometimes one wants to be top female to so dominance can also play into it.
X2 In my flock, Entie and Rhiannon are tied in the pecking order (AFAIK) below Pocahontas and above Greta. For the last couple weeks every time they get a pool, one is on top of the other - they switch it up and they don't fight or peck each other, that is why I am guessing they are "tied".

Here Rhiannon is on top of Entie while there are two drakes (Tevye and Kaine) within 3 feet of her. And Kaine is no slouch
gig.gif
Just duck behavior.

My one and only Indian Runner has been a good egg layer since I got her two months ago. Now that she is molting, Is she going to quit laying eggs.? Is she going to want to set on eggs? With 6 ducks, In the morning when I collect eggs, there is always 5 eggs in one nest. Is that a sign that a duck wants to set.?

Molting they usually stop laying during the molt. Depending on which molt it is will determine if she will stop or will she continue. How old is she?

X2 In my flock, Entie and Rhiannon are tied in the pecking order (AFAIK) below Pocahontas and above Greta. For the last couple weeks every time they get a pool, one is on top of the other - they switch it up and they don't fight or peck each other, that is why I am guessing they are "tied".

Here Rhiannon is on top of Entie while there are two drakes (Tevye and Kaine) within 3 feet of her. And Kaine is no slouch
gig.gif
Just duck behavior.
Are the two still laying or are they done laying? Sometimes when hens stop laying they will sometimes act like males. Also with other animals like cows when one female is ovulating other females will mount the ovulating female. I know it's not a bird, but just an idea.

So, I am now getting two duck eggs every morning. I only have two runner ducks so that means they are for sure both girls, right? Then why are they trying to mate with each other?? It's making me crazy. Is this normal if they don't have a drake??
Yes, that means you have two hens. Rarely a hen will lay two eggs in a day every once and a while but, I don't think yours are. Our hens try to mate each other too but, I have discovered that it's only a dominance thing that has nothing to do with gender. No, they do it even if you have tons of drakes or no drakes. Hope that helps you.

My Indian Runners are molting too. My ducks get a lot of feed in their water too. My drake has been breeding my hen so I'm thinking that my hen will start laying in a couple weeks if she does the same pattern that she's done for 2 years.
That's funny because all three of my runners are in the middle of there molt.
lol.png
I don't have to worry about not getting eggs though because there all drakes unfortunately.
barnie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom