Duck Breed Focus - Pekin

@Teri313 thanks for sharing the story of Sophie and her ducklings!

I was wondering, is it the average for geese to live so long or is Sophie a special case? I had no idea they could live 21 years.

@Teri313 thanks for sharing the story of Sophie and her ducklings!

I was wondering, is it the average for geese to live so long or is Sophie a special case? I had no idea they could live 21 years.

@NorthFLChick geese can live 40 yrs or more. Read about one living till 80.

@Teri313 precious story and pics..Welcome to BYC.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply KDOGG331. That was actually the last year she laid. After she had those babies, she was done. At the same time, the mother Peking was also done. The dad loved her a little too much and ended up crippling her. The males are very hard on the females (mine were anyway). Plus they're big, heavy ducks. I started out with three females and one male, and one by one we lost them basically to him. The last one, the mom, and he were truly in love though. Kind of sad! My birds have always been free range, but when she became crippled, I had to keep them separated so he wouldn't hurt her more. I made a mobile pen out of wire fencing and would set her up in different parts of the yard, and he would stay right there with her. After these ducks go, we're switching to chickens. No more waterfowl. Except for Sophie, of course, my girl!

Quote:
Hi NorthFLChick - Yes, they can get up there in age. She was 5 years old when I got her and I've had her for over 16 years now. She had been somebody's pet, then they gave her to a neighboring farm. I got her because someone dumped a Toulouse goose in the farm pond across the road from us, so I took her in. We named her Henri. She was super sweet and followed me everywhere, and I realized she needed a friend, so I ended up at that other farm looking for a companion for her, and there was Sophie with a bunch of other geese. The farmer's girlfriend felt kind of bad that she had been a pet and was now headed for the freezer with the others, so she told me to take her. They were great friends, but Henri became ill and died within a year. So during all these years, Sophie has had a variety of geese and ducks as companions, but she has outlasted all of them. She's a tough old girl!

Quote: Thank you Miss Lydia! I'm still finding my way here, but I'm figuring it out. I'm gearing up for my next challenge after the ducks, which is chickens, so I was glad to find this forum. It's hugely informative and everyone is really friendly.
smile.png

Thank you Miss Lydia! I'm still finding my way here, but I'm figuring it out. I'm gearing up for my next challenge after the ducks, which is chickens, so I was glad to find this forum. It's hugely informative and everyone is really friendly.
smile.png

What a wonderful life Sophie has. Chickens will be a walk in the park compared to ducks
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

I originally got my Pekins for meat production. But once I tasted those wonderful eggs they are now kept for egg production and entertainment. Love watching them play and chat and laugh with each other. They are a wonderful breed.

My record egg so far was a double yolk weighing in at 118 grams (over twice the weight of a standard Large Grade A chicken egg).

What a wonderful life Sophie has. Chickens will be a walk in the park compared to ducks
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks Ren2014. You're right, she's done pretty well for herself! I just started using heat lamps for them a few years ago because our winters up here in Maine have been pretty rough lately, and she LOVES her lamp. The ducks don't seem to care, but she is all about that lamp. And as far as chickens go, I just wish I had realized sooner that she doesn't really need water fowl friends. Chickens will do just fine. And I'm sure they'll be a lot neater. The ducks can be pretty messy with their water, which can be a bit of a drag in the winter.
smile.png

Thanks Ren2014. You're right, she's done pretty well for herself! I just started using heat lamps for them a few years ago because our winters up here in Maine have been pretty rough lately, and she LOVES her lamp. The ducks don't seem to care, but she is all about that lamp. And as far as chickens go, I just wish I had realized sooner that she doesn't really need water fowl friends. Chickens will do just fine. And I'm sure they'll be a lot neater. The ducks can be pretty messy with their water, which can be a bit of a drag in the winter.
smile.png

Speaking of lamps, I've started using the mommy heating pad in my brooders. They love it! They mostly sit on top of it, lol. Winter? I can't say I know what you mean there... shorts and a t-shirt today.

@NorthFLChick geese can live 40 yrs or more. Read about one living till 80.

@Teri313 precious story and pics..Welcome to BYC.

Hi Miss Lydia, thanks for the info. Shazam, 80 years old?!?
ep.gif

Hi NorthFLChick - Yes, they can get up there in age. She was 5 years old when I got her and I've had her for over 16 years now. She had been somebody's pet, then they gave her to a neighboring farm. I got her because someone dumped a Toulouse goose in the farm pond across the road from us, so I took her in. We named her Henri. She was super sweet and followed me everywhere, and I realized she needed a friend, so I ended up at that other farm looking for a companion for her, and there was Sophie with a bunch of other geese. The farmer's girlfriend felt kind of bad that she had been a pet and was now headed for the freezer with the others, so she told me to take her. They were great friends, but Henri became ill and died within a year. So during all these years, Sophie has had a variety of geese and ducks as companions, but she has outlasted all of them. She's a tough old girl!

Welcome to BYC @Teri313 ! Great story about Sophie, I'm glad you were able to save her from freezer camp. I don't know much about geese, I'm kind of surprised they live that long...that's making a long term commitment taking them on.

You'll have fun with the chickens you plan on getting. I love my little flock of 10. I'm kind of headed in the opposite direction from where you're going with birds...I started with chickens and plan on getting into ducks next year. These duck focus threads have been very informative.

Nice to have you here, see you around the boards!

Back
Top Bottom