Duck Breed Focus - Welsh Harlequin

Well thank you once again, I'll let her know too
wink.png
Seems you're all over my subscriptions today
big_smile.png

Yeah, it does seem like that, lol. I'm really enjoying the duck focus threads. Don't have any ducks at this point but might in the spring so I need to learn a lot more about them.

Everyone's WH are so beautiful!
love.gif
I have 14 WH eggs in the incubator that I bought on Ebay. I'm new to this breed and am wondering how do you tell the difference between them and Appleyards? Are they related?

Everyone's WH are so beautiful!
love.gif
I have 14 WH eggs in the incubator that I bought on Ebay. I'm new to this breed and am wondering how do you tell the difference between them and Appleyards? Are they related?

Harlequins have a different bill color, are much smaller in size, lay more eggs, and don't get a frosty underside.

Last edited:
NEED HELP: I have two WH drakes and two Magpie ducks (thought they were all girls!) Today one of my WH drakes decided to attack the other Drake. They are now at the opposite sides of my pond. The two Magpies are sticking with the drake and the lonely one is calling for them but they wont allow him in their little threesome. Is this normal behaviour? they have been all raised together and have not shown any problems before.

Any help appreciated.
sad.png

I don't have ducks and only recently got chickens but have been reading a lot, both here and other places, off and on a few years before I got mine (now 7 weeks old) and from what I've heard I think it could just be competition? Because I know I've heard of both drakes and roosters living happily, or at least peacefully, with other males so I know it can be done but they often have a lot of girls. Even if you only had one drake, just the two girls may get beat up. If at all possible I would maybe try to get more females and see if that helps. At the least I'd maybe get 2-3 females for each, so theoretically you'd only need two more, but more is better if you can. But if getting more ducks is not an option then perhaps you have another group the loner could join? Or if not you sadly may have to give one up :/ but I would definitely try to get more females if at all possible as that would likely reduce the competition and he may let him back in their little group as one big happy group. OR. At the very least he could have his own little group and not be so lonely. Hope this helped and maybe someone with more experience will have some different ideas!

Hi All,

This is my 6 week old Welsh Harlequin. Until recently I thought I had a Male but when I pick it up lets out some raspy squawks(male) followed by what I consider a quack(female).
Any ideas on whether I have a boy or girl?

Back
Top Bottom