Duck Breed Ideas!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JoshSnape, Aug 3, 2011.

1. JoshSnape

JoshSnape Chillin' With My Peeps

It's in the title I need 3 new duck breeds ideas that work well together. Thanks in advance.

2. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Are you looking for eggs, meat, or pets? Or a Combination of all three?

3. JoshSnape

Mixture of Eggs and Pets not meat though they dont all have to be massive egg layers but I want a variety, also living with neighbours close by noise is an issue.

4. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    I would maybe go with Welsh Harlequin(decent layers), Dutch Hookbills(more of a seasonal layer), and whatever appeals to you.... I think it depends on the beholder.

5. JoshSnape

Do both these breeds work well with batams cus I was tempted by mini apples or silver batams

6. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:The Welsh and Dutch are small to medium breeds.....I would think they would be alright.

7. JoshSnape

Cheers, whats the temperment like with these two and how hard are they to purchase. Like costs and such? also I was planning on getting 6 is there need for a drake.

8. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    The Welsh Harlequin and Dutch Hookbills we have are pretty calm... of course they see us all a lot. The Dutch are great foragers. Where are you located? It looks like you are across the pond? There is no need for a drake unless you want fertilized eggs for hatching. The Hookbills might be harder to find...but here is someone in the UK.

http://www.ashtonwaterfowl.net/hook_bill.htm

9. ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack

ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    TX
    Rouen (for meat) Pekin (for pet) Welsh Harlequin (for layer)

10. lilhens

lilhens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Muscovey's are very silent and come in pretty colours they also lay they might be a good choice for you. (The hens fly so you might want to clip the wings although if u have a drake they wont leave him. drakes do not fly or quack.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by