Duck Breed Picking

marvun22

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
North Dakota
I posted something like this before, but I recently edited it. I've been planning a future poultry order for months, and I started with 33 chickens (30 Hens, 3 Roos), 24 ducks (18 Ducks, 6 Drakes), and 8 geese (4 geese and 4 ganders). I've been slowly adding on until it now reads this: 55 chickens, 48 ducks, 16 geese, 15 turkeys, 15 guinea fowl, 15 pheasants, 2 swans, and 2 emu. I can't figure out the last couple of breeds for my ducks (Too bad ducks and geese can't swap, there are too many goose breeds to choose from that appeal). Here is my duck order and I will list how many ducks and drakes I need at the end.

Ducks Total Number: 36 Ducks, 12 Drakes
Breeds
Buff Orpington Drake 1
Buff Orpington Duck 2
Khaki Campbell Drake 1
Khaki Campbell Duck 2
Rouen Drake 1
Rouen Duck 2
Mallard Drake 1
Mallard Duck 2
Welsh Harlequin Drake 1
Welsh Harlequin Duck 2
Black and White Pied Muscovy Drake1
Black and White Pied Muscovy Duck 1
Blue and White Pied Muscovy Drake 1
Blue and White Pied Muscovy Duck 1
Chocolate Muscovy Drake 1
Chocolate Muscovy Duck 1
Fawn and White Runner Drake 1
Fawn & White Runner Duck 2
Chocolate Runner Duck 2
Blue Runner Duck 2
Black Runner Duck 2
Pekin Duck 3
Jumbo Pekin Duck 2
Blue Swedish Duck 2
Black Swedish Duck 2
Cayuga Duck 2
Unknown Drake 3
Unknown Duck 4

These duck breeds are only from 2 Hatcheries; Metzer's and Purely Poultry. I though I new the hatchery that had all of the other breeds I wanted, but it was heritageturkeyhatchery. I'm not saying its not a good hatchery, but one thing that I need is communication and a known ship date.

I hope I wasn't misunderstood. I am open to most other hatcheries.

Last edited:
How are you housing all these ducks? Together or in breeding pens or some other way?

12 drakes seems like a lot for 36 ducks.

What is the purpose for your ducks?
Do want the last ones to be different breeds or more of what you already hvae listed out?

36 to 12 is following the 3/1 duck/drake ratio. I am housing everything together except for the Muscovies. Muscovies mating Mallards or Runners I would not like. So then it would be 33/9 in one area and 3 pairs in the other. The purpose of my ducks are to be pets and produce eggs. I don't need another good egg producer because I have Campbells and Runners. I am looking for a different breed then what I have now.

I think I figured out. I already was gambling on straight run with the Muscovies, so I'll take that gamble again. I needed 3 drakes and 4 ducks to complete my order. I will add on 1 more Pekin to make it 3 more ducks and 3 more drakes. I will order from Holderread's. I will order 2 straight run Fawn & White Runner and Silver Welsh Harlequin and guess I'll get a 50/50 ratio. Since I had myself getting 2 females and 1 male of those breeds, I'll order 1 female of each from Metzer's. To get to the minimum, I'll order 2 Saxony, 2 Assorted Penciled Runners, and 2 Assorted Dutch Hookbills. If I get a 50/50 ratio on straight run, I'm set. If I get a couple more females, no problem. If I get an extra male or two, I'll just separate any extras. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Back
Top Bottom