Duck breed

eddieokie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Newcastle Okla.
Can someone tell me what my ducks are and how to tell male from female ?

Last edited:
the two white ones are Pekin's..the one pekin is a female..i can't tell on the other because the other duck is in front of his tail feathers...easiest way to tell is the males have a soft quack..and the females is much louder.

Can you post some more pictures? Its hard to see that one as it posted so small!

The white ones are most likely pekins. The easiest way to sex them is the quack. When you pick them up, females will have a loud "quack" while males will be quieter and more raspy sounding. The males will also have a curly feather at the base of their tail. But if they are molting or near molt then the males may not have that curly feather.
The black one looks like it may be a cayuga.
I want to say the other two are welsh harlequins, females, but it's hard to tell for sure with the picture. See if you can post some more :)

Can you post some more pictures? Its hard to see that one as it posted so small!

The white ones are most likely pekins. The easiest way to sex them is the quack. When you pick them up, females will have a loud "quack" while males will be quieter and more raspy sounding. The males will also have a curly feather at the base of their tail. But if they are molting or near molt then the males may not have that curly feather.
The black one looks like it may be a cayuga.
I want to say the other two are welsh harlequins, females, but it's hard to tell for sure with the picture. See if you can post some more :)

Agreed on the Pekins. The only question is how old they are. You're assuming that they're old enough to have that tail feather, which they don't get until they're 4-6 months old.

As for the black duck, I don't think it's a Cayuga because I believe I see at least some white on its chest. Unless it's an old female Cayuga (they get white/grey on them as they get older), I would say it's a Black Swedish duck, but I'd have to see more of its body to be 100% sure.

I also don't think the other 2 birds are Welsh Harlequins. The one on the right I suppose could be, but my Welsh Harlequin female as a ton more white on her body than the bird in the picture. As for the one on the left, my only guess is Rouen, but I'm pretty sure it's not a Welsh Harlequin.

Last edited:
They are only around two months old picked them up ate an auction in march.. the black one has fuzz or something on top of his head.

aw..that would be a black crested..or a mix of something with a black crested..i had one of those and he was the SWEETEST duck..great temperament..and the little fro cracks me up

Back
Top Bottom