Duck Breeding Plan

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ramblin Rooster, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Hello Folks.

This spring I am hoping to start breeding Pekin ducks. I got two Pekin hens at a show a couple weeks ago, age unknown, and still no eggs. I'm curious as to whether I can still use them for breeding. When ducks reach age do they stop laying like chickens do? I was going to try to find a drake and maybe one more hen and then start breeding with all them. I am wondering if I can keep them with my chickens instead of separating them. Will the drake mount the chickens? Other than water to breed in, what do i need to breed pekin ducks?

2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Ive never really tried breeding ducks so i dont know!! All i can say is that i have had 2 ducks and they lived in perfect harmony with the chickens!!!

3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Some ducks can get along with chickens some can't it all depends on the ducks personality,

as for the laying part, its cold and ducks dont lay massive amounts of eggs right now

have a nesting area for the ducks separated from the chickens so the ducks can lay there own eggs and not get mixed with the chicken eggs.

4. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut

we already know our ducks get along fine just wondering if when we get a drake he will mount chickens

5. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Maybe. It depends on the the drake. You may need more female ducks or not it it may not matter he and he may like chickens. It just depends. Watch them closely and be prepared to change things if it doesn't work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by