Duck Breeding Plan

Ramblin Rooster

Hatchaholic
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
Fairfield, Connecticut
Hello Folks.

This spring I am hoping to start breeding Pekin ducks. I got two Pekin hens at a show a couple weeks ago, age unknown, and still no eggs. I'm curious as to whether I can still use them for breeding. When ducks reach age do they stop laying like chickens do? I was going to try to find a drake and maybe one more hen and then start breeding with all them. I am wondering if I can keep them with my chickens instead of separating them. Will the drake mount the chickens? Other than water to breed in, what do i need to breed pekin ducks?

Hello Folks.

This spring I am hoping to start breeding Pekin ducks. I got two Pekin hens at a show a couple weeks ago, age unknown, and still no eggs. I'm curious as to whether I can still use them for breeding. When ducks reach age do they stop laying like chickens do? I was going to try to find a drake and maybe one more hen and then start breeding with all them. I am wondering if I can keep them with my chickens instead of separating them. Will the drake mount the chickens? Other than water to breed in, what do i need to breed pekin ducks?
Ive never really tried breeding ducks so i dont know!! All i can say is that i have had 2 ducks and they lived in perfect harmony with the chickens!!!

Some ducks can get along with chickens some can't it all depends on the ducks personality,

as for the laying part, its cold and ducks dont lay massive amounts of eggs right now

have a nesting area for the ducks separated from the chickens so the ducks can lay there own eggs and not get mixed with the chicken eggs.

Some ducks can get along with chickens some can't it all depends on the ducks personality, 

as for the laying part, its cold and ducks dont lay massive amounts of eggs right now

have a nesting area for the ducks separated from the chickens so the ducks can lay there own eggs and not get mixed with the chicken eggs.

we already know our ducks get along fine just wondering if when we get a drake he will mount chickens

we already know our ducks get along fine just wondering if when we get a drake he will mount chickens

Maybe. It depends on the the drake. You may need more female ducks or not it it may not matter he and he may like chickens. It just depends. Watch them closely and be prepared to change things if it doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom