Duck Breeds and Mating

wareagle044

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2022
Hello! New to the forum and ducks in general. I currently have several breeds of ducks in my flock:

1) Pekin (1 Male / 1 Female)
2) Cayuga (1 Male / 4 Female)
3) Blue Swedish (2 Male / 2 Female)
4) Crested Black Swedish (I think) - (1 Male / 1 Female)
5) Black Swedish (0 Male / 2 Female)
6) Khaki Campbell (1 Male / 4 Female)
7) Silver Appleyard (1 Male / 1 Female)
8) Rouen (2 Male / 2 Female)
9) Buff Orpington (1 Male / 2 Female)
10) Blue Runner (0 Male / 2 Female)
11) Chocolate Runner (0 Male / 2 Female)
12) Indian Runner (I think) (1 Male / 0 Female)

I’m well aware that they are fully capable of crossbreeding, but my question is how likely is it that the like breeds will pair together vs. pairing as a crossbreed? Do they have the preference to pairing or is it a sort of free for all each season?

If they are all kept together I don’t think the drakes will care much about breeds they just want to mate. Only way to keep your ducks from mating the “wrong” breed would be to have breeding pens.
:welcome
I will say though my Muscovy drake sticks to his Muscovy females and in over 6 yrs has never mated with a Runner or Buff duck. Can’t say the same for my Runner drake though he will chase down a Muscovy female. Thankfully not too much this year though 6 yrs old now so hopefully settling down.

Hello! New to the forum and ducks in general. I currently have several breeds of ducks in my flock:

1) Pekin (1 Male / 1 Female)
2) Cayuga (1 Male / 4 Female)
3) Blue Swedish (2 Male / 2 Female)
4) Crested Black Swedish (I think) - (1 Male / 1 Female)
5) Black Swedish (0 Male / 2 Female)
6) Khaki Campbell (1 Male / 4 Female)
7) Silver Appleyard (1 Male / 1 Female)
8) Rouen (2 Male / 2 Female)
9) Buff Orpington (1 Male / 2 Female)
10) Blue Runner (0 Male / 2 Female)
11) Chocolate Runner (0 Male / 2 Female)
12) Indian Runner (I think) (1 Male / 0 Female)

I’m well aware that they are fully capable of crossbreeding, but my question is how likely is it that the like breeds will pair together vs. pairing as a crossbreed? Do they have the preference to pairing or is it a sort of free for all each season?

That’s quite the assortment. It sounds exciting. If you have enough money or the inclination to build a few deprecate pens you should. You could create quite the hybridization project. If there is breed that you really like you can mate them with their own kind. Even if you don’t go that route ducks are fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom