Duck Brooders? Pics?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by adkins90, Jul 21, 2011.

1. adkins90

adkins90 Truly Obsessed...

Jan 30, 2007
    Huntington, WV
    Anyone with pics of their Duckling brooders??? I have my first Call Duck Babies and really need some ideas for a good brooder set up. Chick brooders are just not working.. [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Michelle

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've got mine in that old stand-by, the metal stock tank. Frame and light weight wire over the top, brooder lamp with adjustable height over one end.

Rubber matting on the floor and I put shavings directly onto the mat and use an ash shovel to clean the brooder.

On cold nights, I drape a blanket over the lamp to hold more heat in. Carefully so it can't touch the lamp.

3. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Hi, this year was my most successful easy year brooding ducks. For the first two weeks or so I had them in a plastic tote 2 room apartment. I cut holes in two plastic totes ( one trunk size the other about 18x 24 in.) and taped them together (gorilla tape). One compartment had water and food and the other was bedding with the light and all. This kept the bedding so much cleaner than just using one brooder... It was such a relief. I used old towels under the food area and changed them twice a day.
    Then after awhile they were pooping too much for me to keep up so I moved them outside (it is really warm here in June) to a large (about 2.5x 5 ft) wire floored rabbit cage. I brought their light out there for the night. I covered half the cage with straw and put the food and water on the other side. They had to walk on wire to eat and drink, but then they had a nice straw bed. It was awesome!! All I had to do was change out the straw bed. No cleaning out the brooder over and over. I had 6 ducks and 4 geese in there and their feet were not hurt at all by the wire. Now they are a month old and I just moved them to their new large raccoon proof pen and they are doing great.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. adkins90

adkins90 Truly Obsessed...

Jan 30, 2007
    Huntington, WV
    Thanks for your ideas, it helped a LOT!! Finally got the babies settled. I have 5 Call Duck babies. 2 gray, 1 white and 2 black bibbed. They are the cutest!!!

Michelle

5. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    I recycle campaign signs and turn them on end. I then zip tie or wire sew them together to form the walls. The corrugation really seems to keep the heat in. For the bottom, I use a tarp. Overhead I have a steel cable that is strung taut. I can hang waterers, feeders and lights from it and move them across the brooder as needed.

As for watering, I have made a hardware cloth surface that fits snugly over a masonry mix tub. The waterer goes over that and keeps the brooder super dry and clean. I just take the tub and surface out and spray that sucker down with the hose and it's clean.

Good luck!

6. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    [​IMG]

there free too!! got mine at Costco

7. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    theyer food and water