Duck brooding question

azrc

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Phoenix
Hi all.

I have a question about a duck that is sitting on her (and other's) eggs.

I'd been taking the eggs out (and eating them), so had about a dozen in the refrigerator. Now she's sitting on them. I took the 6 or so that I had in the refrigerator and snuck them back in with vague hopes that they would do something (other than exploding).

Anyway, my question is - she's been sitting on the eggs for about a week now...but only part time. She'll get off and play with the other ducks for an hour or so before returning to the nest.

I have three other females (and two males) and think that they're also laying in the nest because the total egg count is about two dozen.

Is this behavior normal, or should I be frightened? I remember an egg blowing up on me as a kid that one of my chickens had been hiding and it took a few years to wash them smell out.

Thanks for any help or information.

I enjoy using real ducks to brood their own eggs. Ducky usually knows best but it is pretty worrying when other ducks lay in the nest because too many eggs becomes more than one duck can cover. Some might hatch though. In my experience with Black East Indians, ducks do not move well, so you must leave her alone anyway. Cross your fingers.

Sometimes the duck will start rolling eggs out of the nest. Don`t put them back because I think these are smelly eggs, liable to explode!

Back
Top Bottom