Duck bullying

DuckyBabies

Songster
Oct 15, 2018
I am having a huge problem trying to introduce my new ducks to my existing duck. As backstory, I had two drakes- Bingo and Dave. Dave likes to chase our other duck and even our dogs to (I guess) show his dominance. The only duck he didn’t bother was Bingo. Bingo passed away this year, so I decided to get two more ducks so Dave wouldn’t be lonely. This week they are finally able to be outside permanently, but Dave is absolutely terrorizing them both. Every time I’ve tried to introduce them (supervised of course) he just continuously harasses them until he ends up being put in the coop because I can’t supervise them together 24/7. I don’t know what else to do. It’s been like this for days now when I let them out to socialize. They will have to sleep in the same coop, but I can’t even leave them alone in the yard together without fear that Dave will kill them. If you have any advice please let me know!

If you have dogs then maybe you have a dog kennel. If you put the ducklings in the dog kennel and let Dave see them there for a couple days, he should get used to them.... and just so you know, its never a good idea to straight up introduce them. Do it slowly and when they are separated and can see each other. I hope things start working out soon!

When I introduced my younger chicks to my older pullets, I had a temporary pen built in their coop. Chicken wire, so that the chicks couldn't get out but everybody could see each other and get used to each other. When they were old enough to be let out, I cut an opening big enough in the wire for the chicks to get out easily but so that no big chickens could get in. The first day, a few of the bigger chickens tried to go after the little ones that were running around with them, and the little ones would run back to the safety of the temporary pen. But here we are, a week later, everyone is successfully integrated. Are you able to set up something similar where Dave could see the other two ducks and get used to them but not be able to touch them?

I put Dave in the coop where he can see them through that, but as soon as he gets let out he goes straight for them.

Back
Top Bottom