Duck can’t walk. What should I do?

Emily 124

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 10, 2016
I made a post a few days ago about this injured duck.
1C374970-5BF4-42C2-84F0-6E8331DB9205.jpeg

My mom had found it and it seemed like it had been attacked by dogs.
It seems to be doing a lot better now, the wound I was talking about is healing well. It’s eating good too.
It’s left leg doesn’t work though, it’s just limp. It doesn’t seem to broken, it never swelled up or anything either. The muscle or something feels kind of strange right at the hip though, I’m not sure how to describe it.
I just don’t know what to do, I can’t keep it inside forever because it’s poop reeks. It’s been eating a lot more and so it’s pooping a lot more. It’s making the house stink. We’re constantly changing out the towels in it’s cage, and it’s using up a lot of washing powder.
I want to put it in this one cage outside that’s above the ground but I’m afraid knats will swarm it. They are terrible right now. I think I could put a screen around it but I don’t know if that would work.
I’m afraid it won’t ever walk again and I don’t want to be stuck taking care of a disabled duck every day.
I already have other animals.
I need to take it to the vet, but I’m afraid how much it’s gonna end up costing, it will probably need an x-ray and what if it needs surgery? I don’t want to have to spend all my money on a duck.
And what if he can’t ever walk again? I don’t want it to have to be put down.
I wish there was an animal rescue place that could take it but there’s none near where I live. I don’t think one would take it anyways because I’m pretty sure it’s not a wild duck.
I’d also be afraid they’d put it down because it wouldn’t be able to walk again.
I just don’t know what to do, I need suggestions.
I had put together a walker for it, to let it exercise it’s good leg. I need to make a better one eventually though.
It can scoot around a bit but it can’t control the direction.
92758D51-90F6-4AB9-A010-830865FDB8E2.jpeg
77B4E190-45AB-4E59-A322-6DF4FEF88447.jpeg

It can’t seem to preen itself because it can’t reach back to the oil gland. So it can’t swim because it’s feathers will get wet. It just sits around in it’s cage all day.
What should I do, it’s worrying me to death.

Hi Emily, you did so well already!

what a great walker you made! This duck needs a friend and a proper play to stay. It’s so great that you already provided so much for this duck but I understand your problem about the stinky stuff...

‘I’m not sure ifyou know this but ducks need to clear their nostrils quite often so they need at least watersource deep enough to put their their head in.

where are you located? Maybe some other forum members can help you find a rescue. And you can also try the rehome thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing.16182/

But again, on behalve of the duck thank you...

Hi Emily, you did so well already!

what a great walker you made! This duck needs a friend and a proper play to stay. It’s so great that you already provided so much for this duck but I understand your problem about the stinky stuff...

‘I’m not sure ifyou know this but ducks need to clear their nostrils quite often so they need at least watersource deep enough to put their their head in.

where are you located? Maybe some other forum members can help you find a rescue. And you can also try the rehome thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing.16182/

But again, on behalve of the duck thank you...
I’m at like the very bottom of Alabama, right next to the Florida state line, I couldn’t find any rescues near by, and apparently Florida won’t take animals from Alabama.

I also have a chicken and young duck but they aren’t exactly used to the duck enough that I feel safe leaving them around it.

Back
Top Bottom