1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

duck can't walk

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kellysarah, Sep 28, 2016.

1. kellysarah

kellysarah New Egg

Sep 28, 2016
    colorado springs
    Hi everybody i'm happy to be here. Proud chicken owner with a duck question. One of my ducks can't walk. She is about 15 weeks old was perfectly fine today and this afternoon couldn't walk anymore. I feed them a healthy diet with lots of fresh greens. Appreciate any help.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. The duck forum is the best place to post your question - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks - I'm sorry, I know squat about ducks [​IMG] but I'm sure that the members there will help you out.

Good luck
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sounds like she may have a niacin deficiency. Post on the "duck thread," the folks there can help you out.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. I don't know a terrible lot about ducks (I've only got 4), but in any bird, a common cause of difficulty walking is injury. Try examining both of her legs, looking for differences between the two. This can be tougher to do on waterfowl since they are so well padded, so be thorough, and consider examining one of your healthy birds before her so you know what feels normal. Be sure to check for bumblefoot as well.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, kellysarah, and :welcome. Great to have you with us! Sorry about your duck but you should be able to get some help from the duck folks. Good luck to you!!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there and welcome to Backyard chickens. So sorry to hear about your duck, unfortunately, ducks are not my strongest suit, but the people over at the duck page should know! Have fun and good luck with the quacker!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by