duck cold

claier

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
My female duck has been to vets twice and had two shots of antibiotics they said it was a one eyed cold cos she had white foam coming out of he eye she was very lethargic and had deteriorated very quickly she is now recovering but is still not moving around I just wanted to know should I take her back to the vet even though she is lots better than she was or if I should leave it a a few more days

I would keep a very close eye on her. Things can escalate quickly with birds. I have never heard of a virus that could be 'one eyed' an infection, irritation or allergic reaction maybe? Did your vet recommend to wash it in salt water or to give her apple cider vinegar? I don't want to second guess your vet, maybe these things aren't good for her if she is on some other medication, but if it was my duck I think I would want more info from my vet.

I would follow up with the vet, and I don't think it would hurt to start rinsing the eye with saline solution - you could tell the vet you want to start doing that and see if they advise against it (I don't see why they would).

There is something called foamy eye, and it is an infection of the eye. It may only affect one eye. Perhaps that is a term some people use for foamy eye.

Sometimes there are resistant strains of bacteria, and the first antibiotic doesn't finish the job. The vet needs to know.

Last edited:
How is your duck? Could we see some photos?

By the way, welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

She is not doing so good she looks awful loosing her breast feathers she seems to have no oil I have to put her in pool quite often cos she gets poop on herself and she gets soaked she is not walking and I am out of my mind with worry so I have got her back into the vets
She also has something wrong with her hip I really hope she don't have to be p.t.s. But I am thinking that could be a possibility

Has the vet considered hardware disease? That's when they swallow metal. I am so sad for you - yes, get the vet.

Or maybe if she has an infection it is resistant to the antibiotic they used. Did they check to see if it is a fungal infection?

Sadly she was pts we are going to miss her obviously but she was suffering and I could not see her suffer anymore I just hope my male duck is going to be ok without her we are worried for him now as he is fretting and we might have to rehome him as we don't want to get another female

Back
Top Bottom