Duck color genetics

HollyParks

Songster
Sep 30, 2023
I have a blue runner and a fawn/white runner (pictured). I was looking to add another couple so that their flock wouldn’t be so little. I found a breeder locally that has some mixed. Are there any sex-linking or auto-sexing traits in ducks like there are in chickens? The breeder says the Drake is black and the females are splash and apricot. The breeder is kind enough to let me pick which two I’d like, and I’d like to get at least one female so my girls don’t get overbred.

Attachments

• 28CD43BA-C1D6-41D2-8E04-9AFD4DD250C9.jpeg
    28CD43BA-C1D6-41D2-8E04-9AFD4DD250C9.jpeg
    800.2 KB · Views: 19
Do you know the genders of your two current ducks? I ask, because there are sex-linked ducklings. You need a drake which is sex-linked brown. In Runners, he could be chocolate, a fawn and white, or brown dusky or wild type. The female needs to not have brown. She could be blue, black, wild type like a mallard, or dark dusky. With this cross, all brownish ducklings will be females and all blackish ducklings will be drakes.

Do you know the genders of your two current ducks? I ask, because there are sex-linked ducklings. You need a drake which is sex-linked brown. In Runners, he could be chocolate, a fawn and white, or brown dusky or wild type. The female needs to not have brown. She could be blue, black, wild type like a mallard, or dark dusky. With this cross, all brownish ducklings will be females and all blackish ducklings will be drakes.
My two are females. I orderd them through Metzer.

Last edited:
If the drake is black and the hens are not, would the offspring then be sex-linked?

No. But, if he is black but one of his parents was not, then he would be heterozygous. Then, any brown ducklings born to a non brown mother would be girls. Non brown ducklings could be either.
Okay, got it. The local breeder is kind enough to let me choose which two I add to my current little flock. I’m not sure of the lineage of their breeding ducks. I guess I’ll just choose based on color variety and personality. I’m okay with one Drake but I don’t want to end up with two. I guess we’ll see in a few months! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom