Duck commander.

Farmer Ed farms

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
I rescued three baby wild Malard ducks that were traped in a culvert yesterday. They look to be about three days old. They are eating and drinking well so I think they will be ok. When they feather up I will place them in my pond with the other ducks and let nature take its course. I expect they might fly north when fall comes.

Be careful how much you broadcast that out. They are a federally protected (regulated) bird, and I don't know about you, but I trust the government about as far as I can poop. I believe technically it is illegal for one to be in possession of (live) wild ducks. I am an avid duck hunter, so I am glad you rescued them (because they are beautiful birds). However, the feds don't care if you meant well, they usually just look at the letter of the law.

Last edited:
Sounds like an alright plan to me...just put them on the pond and see how it goes...once they are able to survive outside of course.If they stay, they stay..if they leave they leave.

I rescued three baby wild Malard ducks that were traped in a culvert yesterday. They look to be about three days old. They are eating and drinking well so I think they will be ok. When they feather up I will place them in my pond with the other ducks and let nature take its course. I expect they might fly north when fall comes.
I had a wild mallard drake fly in and stay with my domestic ducks when I was a kid. I got rid of the other males and then all my ducks looked like malards. It was cool. He was never wing clipped or kept confined other than looked up at night to keep safe from preditors. He stayed around for over 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom